Author Topic: String follow vs. Excess mass  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Kegan

String follow vs. Excess mass
« on: April 12, 2008, 07:52:41 pm »
Which is is more detrimental to cast of a longbow- say, three inches of string follow, or 150 grains of limb mass (towards the tips that is, where it causes trouble)?

It seems to me, that the string follow would be less of a problem than limb mass, as the extra mass would also cause handshock, which could also take from accuracy. Or is it about fifty-fifty, all up to the situation?

Offline Keenan

Re: String follow vs. Excess mass
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 12:58:09 am »
 Kegan, If it's true string follow (set) then the wood fibers have been partially crushed and there is some reduction in performance. However that should not be confused with a purposed deflexed/reflexed bow. People seem to get the mindset that any deflex is set and therefor gives poor performance. I have several deflexed bows that are excellent speed and cast and have not had any set to speak of but were natural deflesed or induced deflex.
  As far as limb mass is concerned, there are alot of factors to consider.If the mass is due to a bow being overbuilt it would suffer loss of performance because of that to a certain degree but if you under build there is loss due to lack of stored energy being transfered to the arrow.Also where the extra mass is, macks a big difference as well. The further out on the limb, the more energy it will require to move the limb forward.  There was an intresting thread about weather different bamboo being equal and the pro's and cons about set affecting the bamboo and vice versa.
  Another factor is type of wood. Some wood is just tougher and lighter and seems to perform with better results however at times are not as durable.  I tend to try to push the edge a little but not to the extreme like Badger and a few others. I think Steve probably knows the thresholds of what woods will take what kind of abuse better then any.
  Not sure that I've helped or answered anything for you, just the rambling of thoughts.  Keenan
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 08:15:28 am by Keenan »

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 02:11:39 am »
Kegan, if you had 150 extra grains right on the tip, say the last 4" of each limb it might cost you something like 5 fps. For comparison about 10" of an arrow weighs 150 grains. I would say underbuilding a bow is more detrimental than overbuilding as long as it is not extreme. Steve

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 08:17:41 am »
 I knew Steve would have the head knowledge on this one. ;)