Author Topic: dreaming about edge grained d/r // grain visibility???  (Read 3763 times)

Offline simk

dreaming about edge grained d/r // grain visibility???
« on: May 28, 2019, 06:23:59 am »
Hi All

Last night I was dreaming about directly cutting out a d/r profile out of a edge grained piece of wood. Is there a chance of success or will it immediately break due to grain violation?

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 11:03:26 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: dreaming about edge grained d/r
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 06:54:20 am »
Make sure the side grain is parallel to back and belly too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 07:00:46 am »
I don't think that would work unless you do as George suggested and have the grain running with the back and belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simk

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 10:57:58 am »
Thanks for the helping thoughts. I will probably not do this.

As an edge grained bow still is on my list, allow me one more q: You suggest that "grain is parallel to back and belly" Now: how can I detect the vertical flow of the grain on an edge grained stave? How can I make sure to have the grain parallel to back and belly? Do we have visible signs in the wood or is it just guessing??? Building a normal bow we obviously have the rings to follow the grain, but on an edge grained stave....???

Thanks again for helping a novice... (-_)

--- the queen rules ----

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: dreaming about edge grained d/r // grain visibility???
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 11:19:33 am »
No expert on this topic by a long shot, but your radial grain would be a mess.  That run off on the edges would kill it I think.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 12:09:30 pm »
No you can't do that.

Offline simk

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 12:28:25 pm »
Thank you Slimbob and PatM! Probably I should have made myself clearer about my still remaining question marks on edge grained bows. Again: I will no try to cut out an r/d profile that way. But if you do a "normal" bow of an edge grained stave:  How do you I detect the vertical flow of the grain on an edge grained stave? How can I make sure to have the grain parallel to back and belly? Do we have visible signs in the wood or is it just guessing?? Thank you so much!
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 12:32:31 pm »
cant be rift sawn. if it was a HUGE tree and had a ring chased like that, it would be flat and it might work.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline simk

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 12:39:43 pm »
deerhunter1: I have a 2,5" thick board from a 25"dm ash, picked myself at the sawmill, perfectly edge grained on both sides (not in the center of course). I mainly bought it to cut backings but then had this idea...that's why I asked. So YOU think it could work??? Interesting.

Thinking edge grained is just completly different and unusual...at least for me.
--- the queen rules ----

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 12:45:46 pm »
I try and relate it to a split edge.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 02:24:20 pm »
It won't matter how big the tree is.  The grain structure still runs in less visible lines on edge grained material.  You must be getting some erroneous ideas elsewhere  and some on here too.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 02:50:25 pm »
I dont know, actually. In a perfect world yes it would work, in ours, not a great chance. Pats right, i completely forgot about the grain for a moment, im still a begginner  8).
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 03:48:55 pm »
Thanks for the helping thoughts. I will probably not do this.

As an edge grained bow still is on my list, allow me one more q: You suggest that "grain is parallel to back and belly" Now: how can I detect the vertical flow of the grain on an edge grained stave? How can I make sure to have the grain parallel to back and belly? Do we have visible signs in the wood or is it just guessing??? Building a normal bow we obviously have the rings to follow the grain, but on an edge grained stave....???

Thanks again for helping a novice... (-_)

The same way people follow the grain to some degree on the sides of a bow limb, especially a snaky stave.   There's lots of signs.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 09:12:29 am »
Dont know if it answers your question but i when i had a thin piece of  osage id saw the profile out and then sand the sides smooth i.would pick a ring i wanted to chase and then with a pencil i would draw a  line all the way around the stave to see where that ring ran from end to end

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 09:35:50 am »
I was seriously considering a Edge grain bow from this one. I let my buddy practice chasing a ring instead. I've never tried one. The piece of wood your looking for needs to split the shape of a five curve. The stave I showed picture of I would've tried either a highly reflexed design. Or a deflex out of handle and tried to steam in a reflex mid limb to the outer. I have know idea if it would have worked
Bjrogg
Ps you might be able to steam in the shape your looking for but you need your grain to follow the bend. You can't just cut it to the shape you want. That's a pretty tricky design in the first place.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise