Author Topic: Simplified bark removal  (Read 6634 times)

Offline Lost Arra

Simplified bark removal
« on: April 09, 2008, 11:06:12 pm »
Lightning!
We had a typical great plains spring storm the other night and we were rocked by an explosion not 40 yards from the front porch at about 4am.
The next morning I found this oak had taken a direct hit and blown the bark off. Some is still hanging but it has been completely disconnected from the trunk (?cambium?).
Everyone tells me this tree has no chance so at the first sign of death I'm cutting it down and splitting it. Should I cut it now?
Does anyone know if electrocuted wood will work for bows?

Remaining bark hanging from upper limbs:

Exit wound at ground level trenching out the dirt:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 12:43:23 am by Lost Arra »

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Simplified bark removal
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 11:13:35 pm »
That musta been one helluva bang to peel the bark like that - never seen one quite like that before. Is that a post oak? Don't know anything about lightining struck trees, whether it splits em all over or just in a few places.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:26:41 pm »
In the book[ Bows and arrows of the Cherokee] there is a paragraph or two about a bow made from a tree that was struck by lightning, powerfull medicine you split it out send me a stave I will make bow and it shall be called thunder struck
                                                                           Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline John K

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 11:28:55 pm »
I'd cut it now, and split it right away, i'm sure it would make a bow. Only one way to find out  ;)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 11:44:19 pm »
This weekend I slept out in a new floorless tent not 30' from that tree. I wonder if I would have been debarked too?

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 11:54:13 pm »
Ah man you wouldnt be debarked just needing clean undershorts ;D
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 11:55:49 pm »
Ive heard theories that lightning struck wood is cellularly crystalized,and may not be good bow wood.I say you wont know till you try it. Ill wager its got some mojo because of being struck. So when ya get one done post some pics!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 12:17:55 am »
If the Bark is gone a bad as it looks...the Tree will only grow where the Cambium is still intact....so to me it looks doomed....and I would cut it before any fungus or diseases sets in and ruins that nice Oak....and as for the Lightning Strike.....that Powerful Medicine....so use it all...... did the Lightning blow the Ground up around it??? If so look for the Lightning Bolt in the Ground too....it will have turned the Sand and dirt to glass....looks just like tree roots when you dig it up!!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 02:27:25 am »
 I would think it would be great. JJ and I have found that fire killed yew is premium for some reason. It seems to cure the sap into resin while still in the tree so lightning might do the same to good results. Please keep us posted. ;) Keenan

humaza

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 02:39:01 am »
yep lighting struck trees are very special to ancient people
I was told it automatically cures the wood, a lightning struck ash was one of the most valued things on the plains

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 10:53:00 am »
Don't know about a bow but I will tell you be very very careful when you cut it.I cut one a few years back and just as the saw got started it split right up the side all the way to the top,almost got me,I was a little quicker then,so be cautious.Most of the timber folks won't touch them,you just never know what they will do,that is a big tree so be prepaired to run,fast.Good luck. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 10:58:19 am »
The guy that wrote the article for PA on saltwater curing and the urine soaked buffalo hide
said there was big magic in lightning struck wood so it must be true ::) :P
Like Pappy said be prepared to run fast when ya cut it.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 11:03:03 am »
Besides the buds at the tip of each branch, the cambium between the bark and the wood, is the only living part of the tree. Everything else is dead and is used as storage or for protection and strength. That tree IS DEAD!!!  I've never cut a lightning struck tree but heed what Pappy said. You might be able to bind the trunk with rope first to prevent, or at least slow down a fast split while cutting.    Be careful!    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 11:20:49 am »
Dana you won't do.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 12:27:38 pm »
ya I'm a trouble maker :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI