Author Topic: Rookie requesting guidance  (Read 1336 times)

Offline DeanLaw1776

Rookie requesting guidance
« on: May 11, 2019, 01:20:17 pm »
Just starting out with this addiction or obsession whatever ya want to call it; nevertheless I’m hooked on it. The Osage bow I have here has a slight propeller twist on the one limb and hooks left. The other limb is perfectly straight. When I brace it, the string runs at an angle to the left if you look at the back of the bow, what is the best way to straighten the limb and bring closer to center? Thank you for your time and pictures of what y’all use would be greatly appreciated!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Rookie requesting guidance
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 01:32:29 pm »
Take a pic and post it. In general, heat it and straighten till it’s centered. Sometimes you will straighten the limb, other times you can kick it a little in the handle.  A pic will make it easier to be specific.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline DeanLaw1776

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 01:56:03 pm »
i tried attaching images but it keeps sayin it’s over the limit

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 02:17:28 pm »
The pics have a maximum size allowed of 200 kb. You have to edit them below that size to post. The photo hosting sites will do it for you. I use Gimp, a free pic editing program you can download. Let me know if you go that route and I can walk you through the simple process of shrinking them.

Offline DeanLaw1776

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 03:32:10 pm »
It’s not a major bend or twist but I would like too see what method you hse

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 04:00:22 pm »
Hard to tell from the pic but, I want the tips to line up. What happens in between is less important. If it’s too squirley in between it will twist and torque becomes an issue. But if the tips line up that’s a great start. If you want to straighten a bend you just need to apply pressure to the high spot while the low spots are clamped. Use a heat gun to heat it up and when it’s hot enough it will move a bit. Apply pressure while it’s hot until it’s where you want it. A little past to allow for spring back. When it’s cool take it out and see if it’s what you want. Caution. All kinds of things are at play moving them sideways. Splits,tears, rips runs and snags.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 06:22:40 pm by SLIMBOB »

Offline kbear

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 04:21:31 pm »
Hi Dean, and welcome! Mate, the most important factor when it comes to string alignment is that the string intersects the mid-line of the handle. The bend, wonk, and sway of the limbs otherwise does not much matter, within reason. To assess this for you properly we need a picture shot down the length of the stave with both limbs in view.

In any case, Osage bends relatively easily under heat. Like SlimBob said, you need to apply pressure to the section you want to straighten/bend whilst applying heat.

Additionally:

to prevent scorching, rub the area with grease or oil. I use raw linseed because my finish has a linseed oil base, but you can use canola, crisco, bacon grease etc.

heat the area gradually and evenly, moving the gun back and forth

heat the belly and sides only, not the back

And, don't worry, if you go too far, or not enough, it's easy enough to correct........

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 05:00:44 pm »
  This may help you Dean,  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,63133.0.html
                                                                                                                                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DeanLaw1776

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 09:14:56 pm »
I’ll post pictures tomorrow of bow braced and from tip to tip