Author Topic: Trilogy  (Read 6247 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Trilogy
« on: May 01, 2019, 08:27:20 am »
Trilogy
I posted some pictures of this one in a thread I titled "family of three" awhile back. Thought it might deserve some pictures on its own. Got this stave from Wyatt at Marshall last year in trade blanket. It had a bit more character than I was guessing before I chased a ring. I managed to get three nice bows from this stave. If you'd like to read more look up the "family of three" thread.

Dark Osage. Black Walnut, English Walnut, Black Walnut and Juniper on handle. Whitetail Antler tips.
Hope you like it. Thanks for looking.

54@26

Bjrogg
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 08:36:18 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Trilogy
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 08:38:31 am »
Some more
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 08:41:18 am »
I'll try to get a good full draw when I can. It's pouring rain now again. Have one I took awhile back for now it'll have to do.
Bjrogg

Offline ohma2

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 09:12:26 am »
Lots of character in that one ,i like them like that.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 09:59:53 am »
Nice work!  Did you use glue or epoxy on the handle?  Looks like it will shoot well!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 10:22:25 am »
Thanks Ohma2. I do to.

Thanks Hawkdancer. I used TB2. I cut the Black Walnut strips from a short cut off piece of slab wood. The English Walnut from some limbs my neighbor gave me when he trimmed his trees. The Juniper is from a very small piece of scrape my cousin gave me.

Bjrogg

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 11:19:39 am »
Nice looking bow BJ.  Knots and all.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 11:21:29 am »
Very nice, BJ. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 12:11:12 pm »
That's a beauty! Classy tiller and the dark aged osage is like caramel.
Would like to know at which drawlength the string is lifting off.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PNewton

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 12:52:56 pm »
Looks good BJ. You keep busy.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 03:21:16 pm »
Thanks Slimbob
Thanks Jawge
Simion ThankYou sir. That's a very good question. I'm thinking earlier than ideal? I should graph out my draws and pay more attention to where my string lifts. I do a little, but I could probably learn a lot more if I documented it and studied it a little. I like the feel of the draw for me. I'm curious what your thoughts are on the perfect curve for sting release. I'm thinking right before full draw? I believe Marc once said he shortened his recurves and I've shortened my a bit to. Less weight and easier to line everything up. Would love to sit in a shop and work with you sometime.

Thanks Paul. Sure hope it quits raining and I can get some farming done. I'd hate to miss Marshall.
Bjrogg

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 05:27:46 pm »
Love that dark osage color, love the handle, and love the bend.  (-S

How wide is she? I know they say thicker is quicker with osage, but lately I've been questioning that. I've found that wide osage makes for a really snappy bow that holds it's unbraced profile amazingly well.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 06:06:45 pm »
I agree with Jeff. Thicker may be quicker but thinners the winner in my book.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 07:27:31 pm »
Thanks Jeff and slimbob. I really don't know how wide she is. She's the widest Osage I've ever made. I wouldn't say she's the fastest bow I've made, but she's probably one of the favorite. I really enjoyed looking for, finding and actually having a plan all come together. I just really like this Osage. Seems like it always has a few surprises for me.
Bjrogg

Offline simson

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 09:37:37 pm »
.... That's a very good question. I'm thinking earlier than ideal? I should graph out my draws and pay more attention to where my string lifts. I do a little, but I could probably learn a lot more if I documented it and studied it a little. I like the feel of the draw for me. I'm curious what your thoughts are on the perfect curve for sting release. I'm thinking right before full draw? I believe Marc once said he shortened his recurves and I've shortened my a bit to. Less weight and easier to line everything up. Would love to sit in a shop and work with you sometime.

IMO, you need an early string lift off, otherwise you have not the full advantage of the levers. So your bow is a good example how to do well. Not too long levers, not excessive lever angle. The point is to watch the string angle at full draw. I like to have shorter levers on longer bows and longer levers on short bows. It is a geometric problem, think on how the tip of a short and a long bow changes it's angle from braced to full drawn.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany