Author Topic: Node position on boo backing  (Read 3036 times)

Offline DC

Node position on boo backing
« on: April 29, 2019, 11:34:24 am »
 When backing a bow with boo where do you put the node(s) around the handle? Up til now I've put the handle in between the nodes but I got the impression that I should be trying for the least number of nodes in the working limb. Should I place the tip nodes equidistant from the tips and let the centre node fall somewhere in the handle/fades area. In the picture the bottom node is right in the middle of the handle. Does this look workable or shouldn't the node be centred in the working limb?

Offline Woodely

Re: Node position on boo backing
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 11:46:25 am »
Putting a node in the middle of the handle does no harm, but I would never put it in the bend what ya thunking.  Just keep them even distance.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 12:06:38 pm »
When the nodes are 12-14" apart you have to have at least one in the working limb.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 12:24:57 pm »
  I got the impression that I should be trying for the least number of nodes in the working limb.

This is my mindset.  If you know your tips will be stiff you can discount that area too and let the nodes fall where they fall there.  Then equal distance for one node in the working limb. 
You will normally have one more (in the working section) to deal with on one side.  I rather that one be closer to the inners just so that you can adjust tiller if you need too.  Nodes close to where the tips transition from working to non working scare me.  I try and avoid nodes there as I've had a bow break right after the node near the tips. 
I don't care about nodes near the handle.  The more there the better IMO. 
Each boo piece is different though. 

In your pic, I would make that mid limb node equal distance from the tips on both sides.  The handle area node should be non working and try and keep that tip node in a non working part of the tips. 

I'm not saying this is the only way.  This is just my my thought process.  I know some don't pay much attention to node spacing and their bows turn out fine.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 12:28:22 pm by Bayou Ben »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 01:29:48 pm »
I try to keep it down to 1 node in the working limb and I also try to keep them close to the same location on both limbs
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 04:21:18 am »
I have done lots of boo backed bows with a node in the middle of the working area and never had any problems with it. I try to get them in the same spot on both limbs for looks though.

some examples:

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 05:20:40 am »
I have made over 50 BBOs, equal node spacing is nice if you can do it, in my case I cut bamboo locally and try to use every piece. My finding is node spacing is not a critical issue no matter where they fall, propper tillering is.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 05:32:43 am »
I have made over 50 BBOs, equal node spacing is nice if you can do it, in my case I cut bamboo locally and try to use every piece. My finding is node spacing is not a critical issue no matter where they fall, propper tillering is.

true! If you use nice thinned bamboo backings the nodes really do not add any noticeable stiff spots

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 08:09:15 am »
I try to space them equally and keep them out of the apex of a recurve.always clamp on a node when thinning to prevent the bamboo from cracking.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 08:22:17 am »
I've never had problems with them in the working areas of limbs either. I try to keep them spaced similarly in the limbs and try not to have one where I'll be sliding the loop up the limb while bracing the bow. But like the Stones said, 'You can't always get what you want.'
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 08:25:56 am »
Thanks guys. I'll just keep on keepin' on. ;D

Offline gumboman

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 07:56:11 pm »
What are the steps for finishing bamboo with nodes? Would like to stain similar to the bow in this thread. Does any part of the bamboo need to be removed before staining and finishing. I'm finishing a bamboo backed osage longbow now and will be applying the finish soon.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 06:18:16 am »
I used to scrape every bit of the rind away before I stained but I was having a few too many raised splinters in my bamboo back over time. It is hard not to leave little cut marks in your bamboo with a scraper that you will only see after you apply the stain.

Now I scrape the rind down to where the pretty tan is showing through in about 50% of the back and sand down the rest of the way down leaving streaks of rind in any hollows and near the nodes. I use an orbital sander with 220 at first but that leaves little swirls in the bamboo so I finish up with hand sanding. The remnants of rind stain dark and leave a nice contrast to the medium brown leather dye I use for stain. I leave the nodes alone except for a light sanding of the crusty material that sits proud of the node.

Here is one, I have a darker color at the nodes but did lighten the area between the nodes with a scotch bright pad. You can see the streaks where I left a little rind.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:30:17 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 02:32:32 pm »
Beautiful displays of craftsmanship and art!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline gumboman

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 04:22:07 pm »
Really beautiful. Very well done. I will give that a try, although having never done it before I will be guessing as to how much to scrape off. I have a strip not suitable for making a bow that was sent to me as support for the shipping of my bamboo lams. I will practice on that and see what I get.