Author Topic: Dern node  (Read 3294 times)

Offline DC

Dern node
« on: April 29, 2019, 10:15:56 am »
This node is just in the wrong place. It was in the wrong place on the last bow I tried to use it on and again on this one. Can I thin this out so it will follow the bend or will it never follow the bend or maybe even break? Should I try to remove wood(?) from the inside or outside of the bend? Should I save it for a longer/shorter bow?

Offline sleek

Re: Dern node
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 10:22:55 am »
Try putting a block of wood under it and shaping it to fit the gap.

I'd like to know how you are bending that bamboo,  mine splits on the crown when I bend it to fit the curve.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 10:29:44 am »
Try putting a block of wood under it and shaping it to fit the gap.

I'd like to know how you are bending that bamboo,  mine splits on the crown when I bend it to fit the curve.

+1

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 10:55:38 am »
Ya mean like this? The other end is OK. I first bent this a few months ago so I can't remember why it split. Of all the boo bows I've done this is the only one that's split. I don't know what I'm doing right. I use steam or dry heat. Dry makes a tighter bend.
I'm not sure what you mean by  "putting a block of wood under it and shaping it to fit the gap". I tried heating it and clamping it into the recurve. This is all it would bend because it's too thick.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 11:01:49 am by DC »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 10:57:36 am »
You could thin it a little more then steam or boil it and then see if it will bend to fit. I wouldn't put too much pressure on it as that is the weak link in the boo.  Next time try to place the nodes so they are not in the curves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 11:09:03 am »
Maybe I should use another piece and save this one for a straight bow. Although it doesn't need any strength right in the center of the bend but it has to look reasonably good. That's why I was thinking I could sand the node off and then maybe it would bend evenly. I've never touched the nodes on the boo bows I've made so this is new ground for me. I wonder if I have a piece of scrap I could try it on. Hmmmmm.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 11:16:09 am »
You could thin it a little more then steam or boil it and then see if it will bend to fit.

Would you thin it on the inside or the outside of the boo?

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 11:28:00 am »
If you thin it on the inside and heat and squeeze it should be able to bend tighter.

Flyrod makers actually flatten nodes in a vice to make them compress and flatten.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 12:37:52 pm »
You can thin that boo a lot.  Thin on the inside and take down that node some on the outside.  It isn't bending much there, so you shouldn't have to worry about splinters. 

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 12:46:55 pm »
I thinned it out and pushed it into place with the barrel of a 150 watt American Beauty soldering iron. It needs a little finessing but it's there, Thanks guys

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 01:26:12 pm »
That is a very low stress-point so I wouldn't worry about too much.  I would have used a small C clamp and a heat gun but you did well with what you did
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 06:07:06 pm »
Very nice (f)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 07:07:45 pm »
You gunna show us the bow when your done? Im just itching to know whats going on!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 04:26:12 am »
Looks like you fixed it already ;D What I have done a few times is cut a piece out of the middle and splice it back together (lap splice with a little wrap afterwards has never let me down). Moves the node an inch or two back and is really not a lot of work.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 08:38:38 am »
Will do Deer.

Leon, I have done that on previous bows for different reason. I glue in reflex when I use a backing. I'm concerned with where the extra wood/boo goes when I reflex them. With a straight bow it's not a problem, it can just slide along, but with tight recurves the backing is kind of trapped and has nowhere to go when you reflex it. I've done the limbs one at a time to avoid that. If I'm going to have a join in the backing I like to use a short "power lam" just to reinforce the joint. One piece backing avoids all this.