Author Topic: Fumed yew  (Read 9512 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Fumed yew
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 04:43:30 am »
Great bow again, Leon!
I like this uggly frog.
Did you use osage soup or tanin additional?
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 07:01:07 am »
Great bow again, Leon!
I like this uggly frog.
Did you use osage soup or tanin additional?

I used the osage soup for the darker parts, works great!
Finishing up a hawthorn bow which I completely stained with the osage soup. Osage leftovers really makes awesome stain!

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 08:22:30 am »
When I first tried fuming I put  some various pieces of wood in the bag. When the yew turned that awful"wood preservative" green I just threw it away. I should have stuck with it.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 04:31:51 am »
When I first tried fuming I put  some various pieces of wood in the bag. When the yew turned that awful"wood preservative" green I just threw it away. I should have stuck with it.

Yeah I noticed with both fumed yew and black locust that the green slowly dissolves in a week or two. Looks like it is only green when still wet from the fuming or it reacts when exposed to uv or something

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 07:58:09 am »
Nice work sir!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 12:50:38 pm »
Very nice bow!!
I have a bow where the lower is dogleged and with a higher crown. It didn't start to bend and I was concerned it's going to be very thin. I decided to hollow it out and followed the crown. Voila!
Until now I just made good experiences with hollow limbs.
How does your scraper look like?
I use a long piece spring steel bend and taped together forming a U. Works pretty good and fast.
Cheers
B2W

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 04:44:42 am »
Very nice bow!!
I have a bow where the lower is dogleged and with a higher crown. It didn't start to bend and I was concerned it's going to be very thin. I decided to hollow it out and followed the crown. Voila!
Until now I just made good experiences with hollow limbs.
How does your scraper look like?
I use a long piece spring steel bend and taped together forming a U. Works pretty good and fast.
Cheers
B2W

Thanks! I did the same thing with a hawthorn bow I just finished, it has some areas with real high crown which I hollowed out and some flatter areas with knots. Basically getting even limb thickness so I don't have to narrow the high crown parts.

I made my rounded scrapers from old thick rectangle cabinet scrapers. Rounded off the ends to different radiuses. Have about 6 different ones now but they are easy to change for a different radius if needed. I find that even with a very shallow curve it really gives me a lot of control and feel and still hogs wood pretty fast

Offline Catkinson

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2019, 11:12:04 am »
Beautiful

Offline Pinaka longbows

• If trouble was money, i could stop working..
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2019, 11:34:27 am »

Gorgeous bow...
Marginal  :o  ::) ... You guys have a funny idea of marginal  (lol)
Del
Yeah I feel the same way, he is just too lazy to take off all the sapwood because he has so many really good staves.

Who you´re calling lazy... at any given time 4 projects to work on. :BB. just haven´t got all the free time you have   (SH) ;D ;D
But glad that these staves usually are turned into great bows.

Offline globalmark

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2019, 11:46:47 am »
Beautiful Bow
couple questions ???
 can someone explain what FUMED is ?? - i presume its letting fumes get to it ? or smoking but really this is the first i have heard so would be great to know how its done ?
I presume Fuming would also work for anything make with wood - a way to change colour without dye's ??

what are the benefits of fuming over dye or light burning or other methods of changing the wood colour ?
thanks Mark

Offline Markus

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2019, 12:00:59 pm »
Goodlooking piece for sure.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2019, 04:45:42 am »
can someone explain what FUMED is ?? - i presume its letting fumes get to it ? or smoking but really this is the first i have heard so would be great to know how its done ?
I presume Fuming would also work for anything make with wood - a way to change colour without dye's??

With fuming you place your finished bow in a sealed bag or container with a cup of ammonia. The vapour will react with the tannins in the wood and make it darker. Will only work if there are enough tannins in the wood

what are the benefits of fuming over dye or light burning or other methods of changing the wood colour?

No real benefits really. Although it is easier to get an equal stain because you do not have to brush it on. It does go into the wood a bit too so a little sanding does not immediately remove it.
If you want a specific color staining will be better of course.