Author Topic: Nocking points  (Read 1896 times)

Offline redhillwoods

Nocking points
« on: February 22, 2019, 04:13:29 pm »
Should the nocking point on the string be lined up with the arrow shelf/pass exactly perpendicular from the string, or slightly higher or lower?

Offline DC

Re: Nocking points
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 05:03:13 pm »
Mine is always higher by 1/8-1/2" depending whether you measure from the top or bottom of the arrow.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 05:09:23 pm »
    To many variables in primitive bows...You have to play with the position to achieve good arrow flight...Each one is different depending on balance and shooting styles...Mine are 1/4 to 1/2" above 90 degrees...Remember at full draw your nock point actually pushes the nock down if you are using an attached nock...Some just mark the nock point and some don't...
               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 08:52:48 pm »
Mine is about 3/8" above parallel but I nock over the nocking point.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 04:16:40 am »
When I'm not in hurry, I wrap some tape on string and mark 1/8" increments above shelf. Then shoot from the various marks looking for good arrow flight.

Otherwise, I set nock point at 1/4" above shelf and call it good enough.    :o
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 04:38:57 am »
I usaly wrap a peace of green frog panters tape as a temp serving & start about 1/8 above center & mark with a thin marker 1/8 mark & start shooting the bow adjusting brace height and knocking point until I get as perfect arrow flight as posible but also depends on using proper spined arrows ! like BJ said there all different but they all have a sweet spot you just have to find it !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 11:35:40 am »
Slightly high so it doesn't rip the hell out of your finger... oh sorry you guys use an shelf <sigh> ::)
Just kidding,whisker high gives a clean flight over the finger/rest/shelf
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 12:49:57 pm »
It's probably wrong but I start with it high and then lower it bit by bit until I feel it go by my knuckle, then back up a bit. Arrows seem to fly well.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 01:55:34 pm »
DC, our main goal is good arrow flight no matter how you achieve it.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 02:18:00 pm »
what they said,,, (-S

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 09:44:53 am »
Double what they said.  Below or parallel will almost never work, but the perfect spot will vary a lot with the bow's tiller, and the shooter, shooting style, and form.  Three under is a lot different from split, a high back elbow changes things, etc... etc....

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 05:04:38 am »
See, this is where I part ways with most bowyers. In the end, when my bows are done, all of the nock points will be set in the exact same spot. Since this is a constant, when I go to the tillering tree, I know exactly where to draw the string from to replicate the string hand fulcrum. Throughout the tillering process the strength of the limbs are adjusted to achieve balance relative to that fulcrum.

The affect dynamic balance has on the arrow is inherent tuning. At the shot, it is not sent high or low because one limb is stronger, relatively/dynamically speaking... so the arrow is sent off in as straight a line as possible, requiring no nock point height adjustment. Arrow flight is predictably very, very good from the first shot. I have been amazed so many times, I'm numb to it. Now, I expect nothing but perfect flight from that first arrow (if the spine is close) and that first shot just makes me smile :) No backtracking. Nothing to fix or correct, or adjust for. A bow has one main job to do... shoot an arrow accurately and efficiently. Why not work to that end from the very beginning?
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer