Author Topic: Planting Osage Seedlings  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Bayou Ben

Planting Osage Seedlings
« on: February 22, 2019, 01:17:21 pm »
I got my osage seeding in from the State of Missouri Dept of conservation.  I'm pretty happy with them. 

Any suggestion on where to plant them?  As far as how far from other tress, high ground, etc.  I haven't done much planting....

Offline DC

Re: Planting Osage Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 01:19:45 pm »
I think it was OO that said they should be in a tight group so they shade each other and  that forcees them to grow straight up.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 01:21:39 pm »
Maybe by a hill or some other type of natural wind break, so they dont twist?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 01:25:55 pm »
If you have the room I'd plant them is a row along a tree line about 8' to 10' apart. You could do a double row staggering the trees from one row to the other. Be sure you don't plant them too deep. You should be able to see how deep they were in the seed bed. Don't bother fertilizing them until they get established.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:53:09 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 03:33:12 pm »
If you plant them in a row along a tree line they will grow bent toward the light. If you have a fence line in the open I would plant them down the fence line.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 05:55:37 pm »
Thanks guys.  I have a couple fence lines that could work.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 09:16:16 pm »
The website that you ordered them from has some planting suggestions...and I thank you for the information...they ship out of state so I just ordered 25 of them and 25 sycamore... :)
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 04:58:44 am »
Well, I know what I am planting in my yard in North Carolina soon as i get home from my contract im working. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline M2A

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 07:02:24 am »
Nice project. Lots of good info above. Keep the root damp till you can get um in the ground. Id throw them in a 5 gal bucket with enough water to cover roots when heading out to plant. +1 to planting depth mentioned by Pat, Too high or too low will slow growth down in a big way, also can impact long term health of the tree. That's the biggest mistake I see people do.

Only thing I can think to add is it looks like some are branching?? I'd prune any side shoots off at planting. Good luck with this project.
Mike                 

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 07:14:08 am »
Yeah I was wondering about pruning, but I figured I would address that after they took.  I’ll see if any are branched. 

They do ship out of state.  I’m in Louisiana.  Eric recommended them in an earlier thread about growing Osage.  I couldn’t image you can find mature seedlings for a better price.  Ended up being about $1 / seedling including shipping.  I’ve seen seeds close to that price.

I’m trying to plant them today.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 07:23:22 am »
I have always wondered if you planted osage seedlings, trained them to a stake and pruned the side sprouts to make it grow straight would work. Another possibility is putting tree shelters (tubes) over the seedlings to make them grow straight.

I directed a friend to the same seedlings about 20 years ago, he planted them down a fence line on his farm. I have lost track of him but have always wondered how his seedlings came out. I talked to him about 5 years after he planted his seedlings and he said he lost a few but most were doing well.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:27:11 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline M2A

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 08:23:16 am »
I have used a lot of 3/4" galvanized conduit in 10' lengths as tree stakes. Think that or wood 2x2"s would do well to get trees off to a better start. In tree fruits we usually wait till the 2nd year to get that in only because theres not enough time in the day to get everything done at one time on a larger scale. I think pruning 1 time each winter would help make the trees grow better to the way you want them to.         

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 06:56:13 am »
I got these planted but forgot to show the pic.  I think they are in a good spot.  Protected on 2 sides by trees from the wind, but should have full sunlight.  I had some cane unsuitable for arrows that I used as stakes.  I'll probably redo them after the growing season.  More work than I thought getting these 24 in the ground, but it was enjoyable. Thanks for the advice :OK

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 07:01:07 am »
I hope you're planning on transplanting those seedlings later. They are way too close together. In a few years they will be competing for room, food and sunlight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 07:08:34 am »
Pat, I was going off of your advice..."tree line about 8" to 10" apart. You could do a double row staggering the trees from one row to the other."

Did you mean 8 to 10 feet apart?