Author Topic: reflex deflex  (Read 2349 times)

Offline rps3

reflex deflex
« on: February 02, 2019, 08:09:37 pm »
I am making my first reflex deflex bow and spent alot of time searching for images of this style of bow and was surprised at how few I was able to find. Could be my searching skills. Anyway, I just read upstates post on his reflex deflex and thought I would offer mine up for comment

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
Re: reflex deflex
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 10:36:27 pm »
Same here. Especially ones where the belly lams cover the fade.
These builds all show finished product.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,6916.30.html

https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/283859-ipe-boo-trilam-build-along.html

http://poorfolkbows.com/ipe1.htm

I’ve done the one at Poorfolksbows. They came out great. Next step for me is the belly lams over the fades. Let me know what else you find.

Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 10:48:53 pm »
   You did a good job gluing it up, curves are smooth and flowing, should be easy to tiller out. Looks great!

Offline rps3

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 06:04:15 am »
ccase39, I appreciate you taking the time to post the links. All three are just what I was looking for. And thank you Steve for your comments. I guess I should have mentioned that this is a stave of osage, no glue up. I didnt think about it, but I guess that fact affects how well this bow will maintain shape having no glue to help pull back into reflex? The initial funky shape of the stave was just begging for reflex deflex so I just tapered the limbs and bent them into reflex with heat.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 07:15:45 am »
I made a D/R from osage with no backing. It's held it's profile nicely over the years. I attribute that to being wide and being osage .
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 08:09:41 am »
You're probably not going to see too many of those bows with the lams running up the fades like a glass bow.     It's just not a common method for a number of reasons.

Online sleek

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 09:14:18 am »
Patrick, aka lebhuntfish and I have done it as a joint project and those bows came out wonderful. Bamboo backed, cedar core with oak running up the fades. Looked amazing and shot well. Tjey were kids bows so i think 30 pounds was their weight. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 11:20:43 am »
Nailed it....
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline rps3

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 02:41:21 pm »
Upstate, did you post that bow? I'll look through your posts to have a look. Thanks Del. Hopefully I can maintain as I bring it back to full draw.