Author Topic: Help me with a bow materials argument  (Read 5205 times)

Offline EdwardS

Re: Help me with a bow materials argument
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 04:42:55 pm »
Yes I did.  I knew I got something off, but I was at the doctor's office and it wasn't a fun visit.  But you are correct, looked it up and I had the wrong line on the list.

Limbit

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 07:33:06 pm »
And if there ever comes a day when you are lost in the woods for weeks at a time or society takes a giant leap backwards due to disease or otherwise, you'll be hard pressed to find fiberglass and resin growing in the woods. Learning a traditional art is the act of preserving that knowledge for a time when it may be needed again.

Offline Scyth

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 07:35:09 pm »

This :

https://youtu.be/vfdcXbUazKk

regards,

Scyth
"Retirement is not a word in the dictionary of craftsmen
and I will carry on my work a long as I can . . . "

- Yang Fuxi

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 08:13:05 pm »
I stand corrected, Pat. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 08:18:19 pm »
What he said is just silly. Don't engage him.  :)
For the record  horn is strong in compression. Don't know how it compares to fff.
Can't say it. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Scyth

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 09:42:36 pm »
Back in the 1700's(I think) a Turkish(I think) prince shot an arrow from his composite horn bow that went over 900 yards(I think, maybe more). I've never heard of any FG bow coming anywhere close to that distance. I think this man's problem is he is afflicted with FG mentality. It affects lots of folks that just can't imagine that folks way back then could be as smart as we are. IMO, they had to be smarter to survive with what they had to work with instead of having someone else do it for them.  )P(

Actually the glass record even for the less drastic non- keyhole style is well beyond the old Turkish record.   

Don Brown's record is over 1200 yards.

The new traditional archery record is 897.66 meters set by Josef Mónus :

https://dailynewshungary.com/hungarian-archers-set-new-world-records-in-the-us/

regards,

Scyth
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:53:29 pm by Scyth »
"Retirement is not a word in the dictionary of craftsmen
and I will carry on my work a long as I can . . . "

- Yang Fuxi

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 01:44:00 am »
I think the main point is, you can make hornbows a lot more reflexed and shorter than fg bows. Also, Adam Karpowicz shooting his hornbows 400fps... those are quite fast. Even the old 800m ottoman records could be broken in my opinion. Adam has done 724m (790y) with 120 pound bow and 790m (862m) with a 163 pound bow. All shot with a shooting machine, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:47:17 am by JNystrom »

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 02:25:45 am »
the capability of natural materials is as magical as an industrial processed fibers never can be. I worked a lot with FG and Epoxy (not on bows, only parts for Prototyps ) and I hated it. Awful stuff to work with - I would prefer some deep breath of yew sawdust.
BACK TO WOOD !!! BACK TO THE WOODS !!! BACK TO THE ROOTS
Natural materials will grow at its own and don't pollute the environment after. I would like to know how a rotted FG Bow looks like.
I hope people will notice soon the quality of natural materials again, stop to rebuy fancy plastic products which will break anyway again because they are designed to do so.
I pray for my kids, and hope plastic age is over soon.
B2TW
I just figured out my username isn't correct BACK TO WOOD was my intention and not Back to the wood(s).
I have 2 FG Bows and I shot 1of them only once to compare it with a self bow.
So I changed my username to Back to wood
sorry for my English
B2W
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 03:57:45 am by backtowood »

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 04:44:07 am »
Back in the 1700's(I think) a Turkish(I think) prince shot an arrow from his composite horn bow that went over 900 yards(I think, maybe more). I've never heard of any FG bow coming anywhere close to that distance. I think this man's problem is he is afflicted with FG mentality. It affects lots of folks that just can't imagine that folks way back then could be as smart as we are. IMO, they had to be smarter to survive with what they had to work with instead of having someone else do it for them.  )P(

Actually the glass record even for the less drastic non- keyhole style is well beyond the old Turkish record.   

Don Brown's record is over 1200 yards.

The new traditional archery record is 897.66 meters set by Josef Mónus :

https://dailynewshungary.com/hungarian-archers-set-new-world-records-in-the-us/

regards,

Scyth

Monus has all kinds of records but he doesn't have one that beats the old Turk record while  using a simple bow..  The one above is a compound bow record.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 06:18:34 am »
If the Primitive Man could have just had his wife go to the grocery store and bring home dinner he probably would have to. Don't see why that has anything to do with putting FG on a horn bow. It is a horn bow, right?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline ohma2

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 07:57:05 am »
reconstructive archaeology - if you want to see what ancient weapons were capable of you have to build them from authentic materials, if you want to know how ancient societies may have functioned, you need to use authentic techniques
[/quote
i think this sums it up pretty well]

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 09:34:10 am »
This is what I would tell him if I make a FG bow it will only take me 1 week end if I make a horn composite bow it will take me 10 weekends & thats 10 week ends I dont have to do my wifes honey do list  ;D
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline kbear

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 02:04:06 pm »
You stick to your guns (bows?) cheese. I take great pleasure in using all natural materials for my bows..... string and all. It really surprises people that such an attractive and functional weapon can be made naturally. I think we lose sight of our very capable, yet technology-free past. Just because we make most everything from plastic these days, it's not because we really have to!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2019, 10:00:36 am »
A doctor at hospital where I work heard me talking about bows and chimed in "you know they sell those in stores right?" Nope, not these. Every one is different and unique which makes it a work of art that serves a purpose. Can't mass produce that.
This guy likes to fish and hunts deer "they sell meat and fish in the stores. why not just go buy those?"

Cause it is our link to something almost gone from modern life. Same reason people go camping. Get back to the beast baby!

All I need to know is that I love doing this stuff. I'm not 100% primitive. I use TB3, buy string material and other stuff, modern finishes, chainsaw....

I just don't have to answer to anybody on why unless I want to and with yoiu guys I probably don't need to anyway. You either get it or ya don't.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2019, 10:07:03 am »
 :sometimes people are just curious