Author Topic: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS  (Read 114542 times)

dogface

Re: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2008, 08:42:49 pm »
Hello from Galveston Texas. I am a trad dabbler as well as a primitive builder. I got three under my belt. 2 duct tape backed unidentified wood kid bows and one that draws about 2,000 pounds @ 1in (work in progress). My attempts at grown up bows have been unsuccessful but this one seams to be working out OK. Well I hope it is like I said I am still working on it.

Offline david w.

« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2008, 11:55:34 pm »
aawesome i have thought about backing bows with duct tape how did it work?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

dogface

« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2008, 11:41:38 am »
For a bow that may pull about 15-20 lbs is it fine. My boys have been hard on the bows but they still shoot good enough to keep them happy.  I used stucco tape on another and it was ok. It gets ugley as the corners curl. it hlso gets sticky when hot.

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2008, 07:25:31 pm »
This is a test...this is only a test to see if my state shows.
 ;D
Doug from Missouri

Offline Theo 3

• Crested Butte, CO
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2008, 06:22:32 pm »
Hi Dana and Everyone,  Yeah, I'm a new guy, too. My name is Teddy Evans, live in Crested Butte, CO and have been enjoying PA for 3 yrs.. Growing up in Chattanooga,TN and playing in the hardwood forests made me want to be a native American and learn the skills they used to survive. I don't do well in this modern world (should not have dropped Computer science in college) and feel much better walking in the woods, whether hunting or not. We grew up as bird hunters and I didn't shoot a bow in earnest until I moved to CO and started elk hunting in 1974. I shot a compound for almost 30 yrs., but always used fingers. About 6 yrs. ago I bought a custom recurve and have killed a cow and 2 bulls with it. Now I really want to shoot a self bow. This spring we were in TN turkey hunting and visiting my Mom; I brought my chainsaw as I knew there were mature osage on the farm we hunt. After cutting logs out of a pile the landowner had cleared I decided to take them to Pappy for advice and to leave them there if he wanted them.  We also cut some cane, which we left with Pappy. When we stopped at Twin Oaks, my family and I were treated like royalty and we met many nice people who helped unload the osage. I don't remember all the names, but hope to see you again. Before we left that day Pappy and GregB presented us with an almost finished hickory bow and not being able to stay for the Classic gave me a crash course on how to complete the bow. We are on our way! My wife, Linda, and I are blessed with two boys, Sam (15) and Isaac (11) who love archery,bows and hunting. I  have worked on the CB Pro ski patrol for 21 yrs. and for myself in the summer doing stucco and carpentry. I started and am pres. of the local NWTF chapter which established National Archery in the Schools programs in the Crested Butte and Gunnison schools. We also set a 20 target 3-D range in the woods west of town each summer. All y'all (I'm serious) are welcome to come camp, shoot and enjoy the CO summer. You are welcome anytime. I grew up in the lumber business,earned a living as a logger and love wood. I hope I can make Pappy and Greg proud by doing a good job finishing his present, but can't wait to get my hands on a stave and create a bow from scratch. Thank you all !
Hunting cleanses the soul and rejuvenates the mind...

Offline ricochet

• HOWDY FROM TEXAS
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2008, 10:21:38 pm »
howdy ya'll,i'm ricochet from the great state of TEXAS.I just got signed up last night.I'm looking forward to learning from all the experience folks I keep reading about in the pages of PA.I have just started on a hickory backed massaranduba wenge longbow. I purchased it about a year or ago. I just now got the time to start working on it. of I had to read a few books on trad. and primitive archery. I have been a bowhunter for about 9 years now but only with modern pale face equipment. so please dont kick me out the club just yet,I have seen the light and will be changing my ways. will write later especially when i run into problems with my new longbow. thanks for ya'lls time.
God fearing and lovin backwoodsman

Offline jimmy

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2008, 12:25:11 am »
Hello. I'm from right south of Wichita, Kansas. I am a self bow advocate in every sense and situation. Where I live primitive archers are very few and far between. For me there is no other way.  I have been making bows for about five years now. I had no idea until a few years ago that there was a whole community of us out there. I am pretty much dedicated to D bows, mostly Cherokee type. I have made five so far and they all shoot good. I shot a buck with one two years ago. No turning back now. I've recently started making rivercane arrows and I'll probably never shoot anything else. I have been subscribing to Primitive Archer.

Offline dantolin

« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2008, 04:52:42 pm »
Hello,
I'm David, from Spain (exactly Valencia). Just a few time making bows, and making friends throug bow-making.
Thanks Dana for starting this subject,
David

Offline snag

« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2008, 08:47:30 pm »
Hi Folks! I am a 55 year resident of Eugene, Oregon.  Grew up loving the outdoors from the Pacific Ocean to the Cascades and on into the Blue Mts. and up into the Wallowa Mts. I started out at age 5 with a little stickbow and some arrows with metal tips running around with a coonskin cap on.  I guess Disney's presentation of Davey Crocket and Daniel Boone really impressed me.  Shot wheelbows for years. Picked up a recurve in elk camp up around the Strawberry Mts. 3 yrs. ago. Sold my compound and bought a recurve.  Have been making my own arrows out of cedar and sitka spruce and turkey feathers.  Got to thinking "you make the arrows, how come you don't make the bow?"  So, this is the next step in this journey. 
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2008, 08:57:58 pm »
Welcome to the gang snag, glad to have ya eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline snag

« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2008, 03:05:57 pm »
Good to be here.  I look forward to learning from you guys. I can see now that I will need more tools!!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:25:42 pm by snag »
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

splitnock

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2008, 11:02:04 pm »
Hi all, I am in North York, Ontario Canada. Just came on board the last few days to ask a question. Been making not too successful bows on and off for some time. If my memory serves me right my first was from a maple branch, butchers twine. Arrows from a Mock Orange bush tipped with slate from the roof and pidgeon feathers. The last one I shot at about 7 or 8 years old went over the house, the neighbors house and landed ??? that was in the late 40's yup ah sue is an oldster. Since then many blow up. hinge, slip a ring, or are broken by being over drawn by friends (2X). Never let a friend or anyone draw your self bow. I shoot Traditional and 3D as often as the weather permits. Two to three times per week with a local gang of mixed archers. By mixed I mean, self bows, traditional long and recurve and the few compound to round out the group. Our ages range from early teens to our mighty leader at 81 with his lady friend at 76 ( you don't want to shoot her for beer money at 20 yards). Make the odd and I say odd bow now and then. Gald to be in such august company and look forward to many chats and advice sharing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2008, 08:18:47 am »
Welcome to PA splitnock, I think you will enjoy it here :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Scowler

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2008, 11:59:18 am »
Hi everyone!  My name is Dale but my handle is "Scowler".  I've been away from primitive archery for awhile (don't ask why, it is a long story).  I have a bow on order so hopefully I will be flinging arrows again soon.  In the meantime I've been using an atlatl with decent results.  Just wanted to say "Hi" to everyone. 

Offline bbrooks5

« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2008, 01:38:46 am »
                           Hi,
                                 I am Bob Brooks Washingtonville NY (orange county). Have shaved out a few dozen bows on and off since 1993.
                  New England has a great group of archers and bows scratchers. I'm new to the site. See you guys out there. B.B.