Author Topic: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS  (Read 114493 times)

Offline Chuck Jones

Re: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2008, 05:20:06 pm »
I am Chuck Jones of San Antonio, Texas.  I registered back in June of last year and have been in love with this hobby ever since.  I have had numerous attempts at bow making and some sucess.  It is really a let down when you are tillering the last few inches and she blow apart.  My attitude has been oh well and get another piece of wood to wittle on.  I have used hickory, red oad and ash with sucess.  I will just keep pluging away at it until I am out of wood.  I just picked up a piece of Aspen (really cheap) just to see what it would do.  It is bending well just curious if it will hold together.  It will be a very light bow the way it feels now.  This is a great site and the bowyers on this site have helped me a lot...much to learn...chuck

[attachment deleted by admin]
Chuck Jones San Antonio, Texas

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2008, 10:05:32 pm »
Aspen does quite well in a really wide limb designed Bow....but it is going to be on the Light side too
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Deo

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2008, 02:12:46 am »
Hi my name is Deo and I live in Santa Cruz California. My first bow was a 48 in wood sinewed back bow at age 9, never owned a compound and i have always preffered primitive bows in Indian stlyle. I now shoot a 72 in hickory D bow i did not make. I haved made 4 bows none came out good (rushing in the tillering process) but i will not stop trying. I seem to do alot better in arrow making. I use wild rose, syringa, hazel, ninebark, shasta birch, viburnum, chockcherry and anything i can get that will make a good arrow. I fletch Indian style and I also flint knapp. I am still in the begining stages. But this summer I hope to go hunting with my own stone   arrows for costal black tales here in Santa Cruz. My goal is to eventually hunt with all my own gear 100% primitive.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2008, 11:09:17 am »
Welcome aboard Chuck and Deo, glad to have you both along for the ride :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2008, 12:09:19 pm »
Thanks for the welcome.  There is so much to learn and try.  I was walking thru Havor Freight the other day and I found some "Flax Twine" that I was thinking about to try for a backing.  My concern was it stated that it had no stretch.  A single twisted strand had a breaking strength rating of 39 lbs.  I am afraid with the "no stretch" that it might overpower the wood especially with the white woods that I am using at this time.  Still thinking about trying it...chuck
Chuck Jones San Antonio, Texas

Offline Radon

• European
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2008, 12:17:28 pm »
Ok, I guess it's about time to introduce myself as well  :-[

My name's Stefan, born in southern Germany not far from the former iron curtain (it still existed back then and things were less complicated than nowadays  ::))
I got quite a bit around in Germany (and Europe) with the german military, having had the chance to work with a few americans at a NATO HQ in Belgium.
Now I finally got back to the south and have been living in the (small) town of Ulm (half way between Munich and Stuttgart) for over three years. Here I started with archery and build my first bow in November 06 (Black locust, 70", 45#@28"). Since then I build a few bows of which about half still lives. This winter I finished a really nice rowan bow and shot a 28 target 3D course with. Unfortunately it blew a few days later on the first shot at our training range.
Right now I'm working simultanously on a rawhide backed osage and a BBY which (if it survived tillering) will receive a surprise facing.

Stefan
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 12:39:08 pm by Radon »
Dresden - Germany

Offline DanaM

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2008, 12:31:42 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself Stefan, getting to be a lot of folks from Germany on here :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cracker

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2008, 10:27:55 am »
My name is Ronnie. I'm from Georgia. I'll be at the Classic in Tenessee unless the sky falls.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2008, 10:32:53 am »
Welcome to PA Ronnie I will also be at the Classic, see ya there eh :)

Manistique, MI

Joe M

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2008, 02:18:46 am »
Hello all, my name is Joe and I enjoy making and shooting English Longbows.  Some I sell, some I keep for myself, and some I give out as gifts.

I live in Northwest Nebraska and another of my hobbies is building Traditional Muzzleloaders.  I enjoy both bow hunting and hunting with my muzzleloading rifles.  I take part in our local Fur Trade Days in and around Chadron Nebraska, I am a co-founder of the Traditional Muzzleloading Association, as well as the White River Brigade which is our local traditional muzzleloading club.

My son and I also take part in Archers Rest Target Archery League.  It is on the honor system and we have a good time shooting our longbows monthly and reporting our scores as we don't have a local archery club affiliate here where we live.  I believe the closest is 57 miles south of us and I'm not to sure but I believe they are mostly modern bow shooters there?

Anyway, it's great to be here!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2008, 02:32:27 am »
                                                 Welcome Joe....and Nice Tiller on that ELB....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Joe M

« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2008, 12:14:25 am »
                                                 Welcome Joe....and Nice Tiller on that ELB....

Thank you, I appreciate it! :)

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2008, 02:42:58 am »
Greetings All,   

Jamie from Vancouver Island B.C.

I've been reading here for awhile now,  time to say hi and get the communication flowing. 

So far i've been mainly interested in yew self bows, 

look forward to sharing with everyone.

Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

pugpen

« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2008, 12:05:14 pm »
Hey, Dana, I'm David Markham(pugpen) from Marion, Ky., Crittenden Co. in far western Ky. I've just joined this great grup and am lovin'it. I've only built 4 or 5 bows and all have been board bows. I'm getting ready to make an osage bow soon. Just got back from the Tn. Classic and had a great time. Good food-good people. Look forward to more visits-if not in person, then on this site.

David

Offline shamus

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »
done