Author Topic: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS  (Read 114495 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2008, 11:31:57 am »
Dana, I'm responding to your request to say something about myself, and also to thank you for recommending a lumberyard red oak board for my first bow.  Thanks.  I'm a Texan living in Indiana, in Monrovia about 20 miles southwest of Indy, where the woods begin.  In 1991 I started using compound bows, found them very nearly like my rifles, and graduated to a Jerry Hill fiberglass longbow.  Now I'm beginning to make wood bows for my grandaughter and myself, and others as I see fit.  I read Marc St. Louis' article titled "Quick and Easy String" in the Feb/Mar Primitive Archer magazine and still can't figure out how to make a string.  Can you or someone else suggest where I can go to learn?  I have a copy of TBB volume 2 and have ordered 1 and 3, but someone who could point me in the right direction right away would be greatly appreciated.

Don Rhudy

If you can make Pappy's get together the first week end of May there will be all kinds of folk to help ya learn. Try to make a primitive shoot in your area
and you meet some like minded folks and perhaps one of them can offer some one on one instruction. Otherwise just do like I did and start making bows
and asking questions on here.
Good Luck and keep us posted on yer progress eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Canerod

• High Country Guide Service
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2008, 03:58:45 pm »
i have an old south bend cane rod. i wonder if its worth anything probably not much it was probably mass produced but ti is still a very nice rod.

Sure you can fish it. Just look it over closely and make sure the varnish is good and the wraps aren't dried out. Other than that, as long as the ferrules fit well, it's good to go. I've restored several rods that were 70+ years old, so age doesn't really hurt a rod.
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Displaced Hillbilly

Offline Dane

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2008, 07:40:58 pm »

Dane thanks for posting and I'm glad yer back, still waiting to see what ya do with the Yooper Maple I sent ya ;D

Dana, that stave is such a beauty, I don't want to rush into it. I'm debating trying an American Long Bow, but not sure - what do you recommend for maple? I do have the finish already in mind, and want to keep the wood natural, no staining. I found an interesting Middle Eastern pattern I may try in various colors of India ink for the back. I hate to sound maudlin, but a special buddy deserves my best work.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Allen7

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2008, 03:16:03 am »
Howdy.   I live near Benton City, SE part of Washington state.  I've been involved with archery for most of my life - about 50 years.   It has been mostly traditional and primitive archery except for a few years fiddling with the modern compounds.   I've made quite a bit of my own archery equipment.   I am a better flinttknapper and arrow maker than bowyer.    Last couple years I have been mainly focused on practicing horseback archery and improving my horsemanship.    I often shoot 700 to 1200 arrows per week practicing for the horseback archery. However, I still maintain my primitive archery interest and skills.   This winter I made 4 primitive bows, lots of arrows, pounded out a couple gallon bags of sinew,  and knapped quite a few obsidian points.    Yes, I am a hunter and always have been.   I usually hunt with one of my self bows or recurve bows for deer and elk.   However, I will use any legal weapon, including my trusty 12 gauge shotgun or my old 54 cal muzzleloader.   Attached is a photo of me shooting my twisted yew selfbow, which I finished this winter.     

Allen Minton

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2008, 03:08:12 pm »
Hi my name is Nathan, I am completely obsessed with primitive archery. Been bending and snapping bits of wood on and off for years. A recent move to a new house with room for a small workshop has been like dying and going to heaven! This subject is fascinating.  I'm an Englishman living in Germany and can only hope that one day I can aspire to some of the awesome bows and tackle I see on this site. I hope soon to be able to post some pictures of nice looking sweet shooting bows.

Nat.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2008, 04:04:04 pm »
Thanks for taking a minute to introduce yourselves guys :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline lotojarich

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2008, 02:39:10 am »
Hi my name is Rich and I have been into bows since I was a child. I was distracted by wheely bows for a few years and even shot my only deer with one when I was 16 (1984). It was a 4 point muley and I shot it with a bow that only had a 40% let off, instinctively with a bear razor. I have never used sights. I have hunted tons of small game and always thought about bow hunting but just never had the time. Well your website changed it all. I have built 4 bows for my kids in the 5-15lb range. I have also built 2 bigger bows from red oak with the first one breaking and the second one being good at 68" n2n at 42 lbs. I was shooting for about 50lbs but messed up when I got in a hurry tillering. I am now working on a IPE with hickory backing that seems to be awesome. I bought 5 IPE staves and am making a bow for my brother in PA so that he cam come get some big muleys with me in the fall. I built a spine tester based on the info here and have 100 birch shafts to work through plus 12 rose shoots. I am totally addicted and have my man cave set up (spent way too much in bow making stuff  >:D but what the wife doesn't know wont hurt her). I just need to get some Osage. I will post some pics of my bows next week so that you can see my work and give me some pointers. I just wish I could make it out to TN this year, but hope to make it out next year (come hell or high water). Thanks all for the instruction.

Rich SLC Utah.

PS. Seeing Justin's post don't make me feel so odd at scavenging road kill for fur and sinew. I just hate passing it up (I have a similar haircut too but don't think it is a Utah thing).
Archery... Just the word seems to invoke awe in the minds and hearts of men.
Nearly every recorded culture has used the bow and arrow to civilize, feed,
protect, and entertain.  ....Douglas Spotted Eagle

Rich ... Salt Lake City, UT

Offline DanaM

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2008, 10:38:20 am »
welcome to the club Rich, looking forward to the pictures :)

Manistique, MI

Slaughter

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2008, 11:21:46 pm »
Ok  Dana,  I added My state, I don't say much usually but I did the intro thing a while back.

Tony

Clint Brown

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2008, 12:54:11 am »
Hi
 My name is Clint. I live in western Kentucky. I am 32. I have hunted with a compound bow for years and want something more. Around two years ago I have started working hear and there on a self bow. I finally have one that I can hunt with. I finished it about a month ago. It is red oak . 50# @ 26". I plan on going to the Tenn clasic if at all possible. I live one and a half hours away. I would like some one to look at the tiller on my bow. I believe it bends too much in the handle area.
I have enjoyed reading the post on this site!
See ya
Clint

Offline RG

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2008, 01:08:16 am »
Hey Clint welcome bring your bow and come on over to the classic

Ron

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2008, 02:06:23 am »
Hey Dana, wev'e talked before, I'm Robb from Tilbery Ont. Canada, Nice to take to you guys.
live each day the best you can

radius

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2008, 04:17:12 am »
I guess i'm one of the new folks

My name is Scott, i'm a carpenter/would-be professional bowyer, father of 2 great little shooters, ya da ya da...I live in Victoria on Vancouver Island...where the Pacific Yew grows wild!

I wanna thank the administrators for running this site.  It is great. 

Offline tomwatson

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2008, 05:21:44 pm »
My name is Tom Watson. My wife, Nicole, and I have been involved in Traditional Archery for the past year and a half. I am getting ready to travel down the wonderful path of Primitive Archery, making my first bow. I live in South Rockwood, MI and any advise from experienced boyers would be of a great help.

Tom

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2008, 06:53:01 pm »
                                              GET OUT NOW..........WHILE YOU STILL CAN

::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome