Author Topic: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS  (Read 116688 times)

Offline mox1968

Re: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS
« Reply #330 on: May 04, 2009, 06:56:29 pm »
hi im john,
i live in ireland but im from scotland.caught the bow bug recently and on my 3rd attempt just finished an ash flatbow that works!!!!its the ugliest thing youve ever seen but its shoots arrows!!!!it was a very short stave so its for my son.60" long dont know about the weight but pulls to 27".I definately have the bug now ,just need to get some decent lumber.Im a bit of a lurker too but the info on the site and the guys on it all seem really nice and friendly so hi from the emerald isle.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #331 on: May 04, 2009, 08:40:04 pm »
A big PA welcome to all of you new folks, pull up a log by the fire and share the fun :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #332 on: May 05, 2009, 12:30:47 pm »
I am not a "new folks,"  but I sometimes go for weeks without submitting or commenting, so here I am.  My name is Dan Spier.  I live in Marietta, Georgia, USA, just outside Atlanta.  I am a retired football coach and English teacher who has been building bows about 15 years.  I started out with board bows, then went to staves--hickory, then osage--learned to chase a ring and all that.   Then I wanted to learn to sinew-back, then bamboo-back, then back with other woods.  I get really fancy sometimes, then sometimes I go all the way back to making bows as primitively as possible.  I am also a flintknapper and wildlife artist.  I hunt with my primitive bows and arrows, and photograph wildlife also.  I have started many people out in making bows and arrows, and I love to do that.  If you ever need any help with anything, let me know.  My handle is "DirtyDan."

Dan Spier

Jray33

« Reply #333 on: May 05, 2009, 01:04:50 pm »
Hello,

Just a little history about me. About a week ago my friend told me about this site and about making bows. I decided that I could make a bow. So, I sat down and with some instructions from my friend I made my first bow. Its a long bow measuring 66" and is made from red oak, at 30" draw it is about 30 pounds, but should increase with a little heat treating. Unfortunatly it will be tonight before I can upload the pictures, since my wife just had a baby and we are at the hospital. I live in Texas but am stationed in Little Rock, Arkansas at the moment.

Offline mox1968

« Reply #334 on: May 05, 2009, 04:03:18 pm »
congrats on the baby jray

chasbow

« Reply #335 on: May 06, 2009, 05:14:17 pm »
 Hello folks thanks for making this exchange possible. I live in Sharpsburg, Ga.
I make knives as a hobby and work for Taylor Archery. Jim Taylor makes finely Crafted
Laminated wood Longbows,and Longbow kits, Scout bows, Recurves, and kid bows.
 I plan to try my hand at making a Longbow someday, but I have a lot to learn. I have
been shooting a longbow and a recurve for over 40 years. Man that just dated me!
I also went very far down that other road and have owned a number of wheelies
over the years. For the past several years I have even hunted at times with a lowly
Crossbow made of aluminum and fiberglass. "Forgive me Fathers for I have sinned. "
I am now back in the fold. The offending devices have been disposed of. My longbow
that I hunt with now is a Red Cedar Bow backed with Hickory and a laminated Cedar grip.
I will post a picture when I get a chance to take one. Thanks again and I look forward
to the fellowship.

Fried Pie

« Reply #336 on: May 07, 2009, 08:49:02 am »
Enjoyed talking with you at Twin Oaks and thanks for the education about "Yuppers(sp?)".

Doug & Katie Hildreth
Clarksville, TN

Offline DanaM

« Reply #337 on: May 07, 2009, 09:08:37 am »
It was a Pleasure meeting the both of you, hope to see yall next year eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

hickorydick

« Reply #338 on: May 08, 2009, 06:31:59 am »
Hi.

I met some of you guys in Pasadena last month when I showed up at the meet. I had a Hickory Board I needed some tillering advice on. Ken, thanks for the advice. Alex, thanks for introducing me to scrapers and scraping. I've just scraped  - must be 8 rings off a stave. Painful, but zen. The Irish guy with the flute! Sorry, I forgot your name - but not your face or your friendliness!! Thanks for welcoming me.

The hickory is my second bow. It shoots pretty good but is low weight.  (first is pretty much unmentionable).

I've got the bug and am pretty much a goner. This is a great place - with great people and I just want to say I'm very proud to join.

Thanks,
George

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #339 on: May 11, 2009, 04:41:55 pm »
Just thought I would introduce myself, my name is Kyler, new to archery/traditional archery.  Im from Eastern Nebraska, born and raised.  I recently made a red oak board bow and then decided to start working on my first osage self bow, its lookin pretty good and its about finished.  I will be sure to post pictures of it when it is completed.
GBR!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #340 on: May 11, 2009, 04:45:43 pm »
Kyler....post Pictures anytime...especially if you have a Question or a Problem...don't miss out on all of the Free Information that will be handed to you....could save a nice Stave from the Fire Box!!  Welcome aboard
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline casper

« Reply #341 on: May 12, 2009, 11:58:10 pm »
hi everyone, my names casper hegge and i live in sweet home oregon. and yes that is my real name lol.ive been bowhunting about 20 years now with compound thought it was time to try my luck with a little more primitive gear. this is a great site .

Offline DanaM

« Reply #342 on: May 13, 2009, 02:25:27 pm »
Welcome to PA Casper :)

Manistique, MI

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #343 on: May 14, 2009, 11:31:32 pm »
I am from south of St. Louis.  A long time archery hunter, I am just returning to where I started many years ago!  I read here for a while, and then went out to the garage and pikced a red oak board to whittle on.  That is about as far into making bows as I have gotten so far.   A red oak board bow that pulls about 15 pounds at 31 inches.  It is consistant and pleasant to shoot using a string I made out of synthetic sinew.   I managed to learn a few things making this one, and look forward to learning many more. 
Nice to meet you all! 

Offline DanaM

« Reply #344 on: May 15, 2009, 07:20:03 am »
Welcome to PA Ahnlaashock, sounds like you have started upon the path of no return :)
Ya can't just make one ya know ;)

Manistique, MI