Author Topic: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS  (Read 114522 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS
« Reply #315 on: April 01, 2009, 07:19:12 am »
Welcome to PA Bret glad ya stopped by, we'll be here when your ready to start building bows :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline deiselbrown

« Reply #316 on: April 10, 2009, 08:34:35 am »
Hi all

i just go in to primitive hunting about 3 months ago. i have turn 5 very good staves in to fire wood in that time. I have a bow just about complete, and another partal suscess that i just linen backed to try and bring back to life. i live in mid michigan if anyone is close give me a holler. i am kinda of alone in my little township here. met a few people that do traditional archery but mostly compound bubbas. no self bow folks though

Offline DanaM

« Reply #317 on: April 10, 2009, 11:24:14 am »
Hey diesel, a man needs fire also so the wood wasn't wasted :D

Mid Michigan eh, I'm in Manistique in da UP eh :) About 1.5 hours west of the bridge on US 2
If ya ever get up this way give me a holler.
Glad you stopped by and welcome to PA
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline daryush

« Reply #318 on: April 10, 2009, 08:31:55 pm »
Hi

I'm new here, from Nottingham (holiday time) / Sheffield (uni term time) in the UK. I plan on building a composite bow at some point, thought I could learn lots from this site. I lurk lots, so you might not hear from me much!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #319 on: April 11, 2009, 06:57:11 am »
Hey daryush feel free to lurk all you want but don't hesitate to ask if you have a question :)

Manistique, MI

Offline staveshaver

« Reply #320 on: April 13, 2009, 01:12:25 am »
Hello , my name is Bob Brewer I am from Tulsa Oklahoma .I been making self bows for half my 31 years on earth.  only got good at it in the last few years.   I discovered paleaoplanet  a few months ago, and just found primitive archer about a month ago or so , I really like this forum , seeing other peoples bows is a great learning experience. I will be ordering a lot of back issues of P.A in the next couple of days and subscription, maybee the E mag that I ve read about.  I am going through a D-bow phase right now I just love them ,and being part Cherokee and from Oklahoma I guess it was bound to happen .I just finished a" Cherokee" D-bow of hickory from a stave I got at O-jam.  anyway it is nice to meet you all. Bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #321 on: April 13, 2009, 07:21:27 am »
Thanks for stopping by Bob and welcome to PA :)

Manistique, MI

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #322 on: April 15, 2009, 07:18:37 pm »
Another newbie here, though I've been lurking for about a month.  My name is Jason, I live in Parkville, MD.  I just made my first bow, 68"tip to tip hickory selfbow, 55#@26", this January in a class at a local nature center (photos below).  It's been a number of years since I shot a bow and this is the heaviest draw I've ever shot.  I was surprised how smooth the draw is, how fast it shoots the arrows and how powerful they hit the target.  I'm looking forward to trying it out hunting.

Now I've got the bow bug and I've already started on a red oak board bow for my 2nd.  Just thought I'd say hi instead of lurking.

Close to full draw
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #323 on: April 16, 2009, 09:43:47 am »
Welcome to PA Jason there is always room for another bowaholic on here :)
Your first bow looks great and a heck of a lot better than my first bow :)

Manistique, MI

Startingover

« Reply #324 on: April 28, 2009, 02:50:05 pm »
Howdy all,

I just joined up, my name is Frank from upstate NY.

Went to the Whittingham Rendevous in NJ this past Saturday and found everyone there very nice.  I had shot my Ben Pearson Colt quite a bit when I was about 15-20 years old (I'm 54) and picked it up again last year.  I was a little apprehensive about going to an event as I didn't know what to expect and I am just getting back into archery.  i am very excited about PA magazine and the opportunity to meet some archers and learn what I can about making equipment or anything else related to traditional archery/primitive archery.

Thanks to the Appalachian Bowment for putting on such a great event and giving me an opportunity to come out and get my feet wet again!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #325 on: April 28, 2009, 03:09:27 pm »
Welcome Frank....Glad you got back into Traditional Archery......The Board will most likely be a little Quiet this next week or so....Almost Everyone including Me are heading to Pappy's Place in Tennessee for the 12th Annual Tennessee Classic Traditional Archery Rendezvous...the Tournament don't start till May 1st and goes through the 3rd...but everyone goes early to meet and have a good time....maybe you can join Us next year...plenty of People from Your Neck of the Woods on this Board
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Tracer

« Reply #326 on: April 30, 2009, 02:26:01 pm »
My name is Scott and I live in North Carolina but I am really from Pittsburgh, Pa.  I just recently met up with some primitive archers and was taken with their ways.  One was nice enough to trade me a hickory stave and help me lay out the pattern.  I love the idea of making my own stuff.  I have several other "Traditional Bows" on the wall but this is my first attempt at a selfbow.  I have read a good bit both here and on other sites about it and its is now time to just do it.

Thanks for all of the tutorials and willingness to share info.

Tracer

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #327 on: April 30, 2009, 02:44:14 pm »
Welcome Tracer, I'm sure you've notice by now there are a few folks for NC on this site.  Good luck with your hickory stave.  Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Tombow

« Reply #328 on: May 01, 2009, 03:06:18 pm »
I'm a 59 yr.-old avocational archaeologist from the South Texas coast. I'm drifting more from hi-tech to traditional archery and have been experimenting with local woods for bow making. The local natives were known for their archery skills but no real info on materials. Glad to be here! (oh yeh, I like to hunt & fish w/bows.
Tombow

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #329 on: May 03, 2009, 09:57:43 pm »
I went to OJam with one of my buddies this year, last time I shot a bow was when I was 10 and I don't know how to hunt, but was excited to see someone make a bow again. I ended up forking out the cash for some tools and an Osage stave and now I am hooked. Thought I would sign up here, so I could keep up with everything and learn. If anyone here is from Oklahoma I would be glad to hear from them, because a large part of what I enjoyed was hearing the older guys talk and learning from them. Glad to be here and be a part of the insanity. Michael
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero