Author Topic: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS  (Read 114716 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS
« Reply #195 on: September 12, 2008, 12:01:39 am »
Welcome Tony. Your way is probably the best way to build a wood...slow and steady. Might not ease the addiction but it will make a bow ;) :D.   If you can post pics we can walk you through to a successful bow.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #196 on: December 12, 2008, 06:56:45 pm »
Come to Canada, we have snow, and no bugs for at least 4 more months
live each day the best you can

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2008, 12:20:31 am »
OK
My name is Sam King AKA sambone. I'm new here been a subscriber to Primative Archer for a couple of years.
I live in Fayetteville GA. I've bowhunted all my life, now I want to build my own bows and arrows.
I hunt wih a Browning Cobra One glass recurve and with a hickory long bow.
I have been following the posts and have been learning alot about bows and primative archery in general. I have been real impressed with the help and acts of kindness that I have seen on this site. I plan on asking alot of questions when I start building my bow. Hopefully I will get to meet alot of ya'll at some of the different happenings.
Thanks
Sam
" The self is not something ready made, but something in continuous formation through choice of action." (John Dewey)

Peachtree City, Georgia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2008, 12:33:29 am »
  Welcome Sam, There are a few of us on here that have been getting together for hog hunts in Abbeville, Ga.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2008, 06:26:42 am »
Welcome to PA Sam, yup pretty good folks aroundhere :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline JustAim

« Reply #200 on: December 20, 2008, 09:37:08 pm »
Hi,
 My name is Matt Scott and l am new to this site. The reason l joined this site is because l want to learn more about primitive archery and to meet people with the same hobbies l have and to make friends. l've hunted my whole life with modern weapons and have always heard of people making and hunting with wooden bows and thought that was funny, hunting animals as big as moose and trying to kill it with a stick. Until one day l had an urge to make one and see what it was all about! So l went through the steps l've seen people do when making one and broke about 7 before l had one completed. And remember that feeling l felt holding it in my hand. lt felt like it was apart of me, an extension of my own hand and the history that came with it. From the indians that used it for survival to the men that used it for war and in a way l am apart of it. 

Badbill

« Reply #201 on: December 20, 2008, 11:06:21 pm »
YEAH! We all know what you mean! Now you are hooked. Now you are one of us! >:D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #202 on: December 21, 2008, 06:15:46 am »
Welcome aboard Matt, you will like it here :) Feel free to ask questions and remember we like pictures ;D
I see yer in the thumb area eh, Yooper here, ever make it across da bridge up north?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

rosa

« Reply #203 on: December 21, 2008, 07:31:13 am »
Hei.
I live i Norway, a few years I lived on the land of Einar Tambarskjalve (about 1000 years after him), Melhus Norway. I'm exploring the wast world of bows and my urge to learn more started with the longbows of the vikings. I'm now into the asian bows, composite, and I don't see how the bow-topic, i.e. history, the traditions in building, shoothing etc. can be empty. Looking forward to many years of shooting and reading. I own two bows, one 76" longbow lamiate, 70lb.@32, and a flatbow 68", 56lb@32. The flatbow is the first bow which I did'nt break during tillering, (attempt #6).

Hope you excuse my poor english writing. 

Offline Et_tu_brute

« Reply #204 on: December 21, 2008, 07:46:49 am »
Hi all, my name is Dave Bell, I'm 15 and from Sunderland in England. Been into archery for just over a year now, and have been making my own bows since then. Made about 7 or 8 ELBs so far, got a few more in progress at the minute. My main interest is in Medieval war bows, and I'm currently working up to shooting heavier weights. I'm shooting a 65# tri-lam bow I made myself at the moment. This me shooting it:

I mostly do roving mark and general long distance shooting.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #205 on: December 21, 2008, 07:48:26 am »
Welcome to PA rosa and Et_tu_brute, Think you will like it here :)

Manistique, MI

Offline JustAim

« Reply #206 on: December 21, 2008, 03:07:16 pm »
Welcome aboard Matt, you will like it here :) Feel free to ask questions and remember we like pictures ;D
I see yer in the thumb area eh, Yooper here, ever make it across da bridge up north?

l've only been up there once to deliver a load in sault ste. marie. but a few years ago l thought about buying some land in deerton but changed l mind. would like to go up there again in the future.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #207 on: December 21, 2008, 03:43:45 pm »
Give me a holler if yer going to be up, I'm only 1 1/2 hours east on US 2 :)

Manistique, MI

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #208 on: December 21, 2008, 04:13:45 pm »

Hello all!

My name is Josh and I have been working on bows on again - off again for about 12 years now.  I just relocated to the metro Detroit area.  My interest in bow making started when I was 15 and for some reason I decided to try and make a bow out of a green apple branch.  It actually worked and I have been hooked every since!  Although my apple bow eventually dried out and broke  :(  I started reading and learning and getting better every since.  I must have broke a good half dozen or so to start off with due to bad material, bad workmanship and bad advice.  But honestly I learn the most from every one that fails. 

Life is starting to get back to normal for me so I am itching to start turning out some bows.  It seems like I have made a nice bow for everyone else but myself, lol.  I have the ugliest and slowest bow on the block.  So I am now ready to dive into my stash of 10+ year old seasoned Osage.   ;D

Take care,
-Josh

troutbum76

« Reply #209 on: December 21, 2008, 04:27:55 pm »
My name is Cory and i live in little rock Arkansas. i am very new to bow making but have really enjoyed my experience so far. it has been a life long dream to build my own bow(this seems true for many people here) and it always good to chase your dreams. i was lead to this site through PA magazine which is awesome!  it is great to have the wealth of information and encouragement found here.  ;D