Author Topic: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS  (Read 114724 times)

Offline BradB

Re: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS
« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2008, 01:27:34 pm »
Hi.
was a fairly active member about 10 years ago, username Uncle Waldo.
recently rekindled interest in self bows.  made one to shoot recently, and now working on a better one.
my son (12 y/o) and i cut several staves of ash and elm, and cut a bunch of arrow shoots for this winter. 
ordered "the bent stick" by comstock for my son, hoping to get a co-conspirator in bowry.
located in NW ohio, formerly SE michigan, MN, and SD.
homesick for MN and SD.
Brad

Offline DanaM

« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2008, 07:46:13 pm »
Welcome back Brad, Glad to hear that your getting your son interested in primitive archery, can't start them young enough now can ya :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #182 on: September 04, 2008, 11:54:19 pm »
Hello,
My name is dustin. im fairly new to bow making. My first successful bow is a red oak 3 piece take-down. working with a hickory board atm. im located about the center of washington state. I am also learning flint knapping, i have 2 points made sofar, both out of flat glass, not to shabby, cant wait to get some rock to work with. Anyway, thanks for having me.
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline shortarrow

« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2008, 12:14:51 am »
New guy to this forum but not archery. Started traditional archery in 1986 and went to primitive in 1989. Been out of it the last few years, and had to sell off all my gear due to medical reasons. Now I'm on the hunt for another bow. Looks like a lot of great info here!

Rob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2008, 12:53:13 pm »
Welcome to PA Dustin would love to see pictures of your bow and points :)

Welcome aboard shortarrow, you've come to the right place for information lots of talented folks here :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
another soul lost to bow making....
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2008, 10:02:07 pm »
I just stumbled in here, a raw recruit to the land of bowmakers.   I can tell by the pictures I am surrounded by some skilled and experienced makers.    Today I cut and planed my first bow, and it feels great.  I am a violinmaker by trade so this is a different sort of woodworking than I usually do. 

Lots of Yoopers and Trolls here,(Michiganders, Upper Penninsula and Below the Bridge) wonder how many I'd recognize on the street.  I lived in Iron River for twenty years, then got smart and moved to Louisiana. 

Looking forward to being a part of this fine forum!!

Piper

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2008, 10:48:54 pm »
Got Smart....yeah....well I could argue that all day!!! How are the Hurricanes treating you???? Dont have any of them in da UP!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2008, 10:56:23 pm »
El Destructo, 

ya, you bet, no hurricanes in da UP..........no gumbo, red beans, anduille, conservatives, green izards, pecans by the bag, boiled peanuts, 60 degree January days or pirogues either. 

I'll wait out the occasional hurricane.  Gustav got our attention here, then we nailed on some new shingles, picked up the yard and went back to work. 

thanks for the shout! 
piper

Offline DanaM

« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2008, 03:31:54 pm »
Wecome to PA islandpiper :) But I don't understand leaving the UP ??? ??? ???

No more pasties and smelt, not to mention Trenary Toast :o :o :o

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2008, 08:43:29 pm »
                  Ooh yah da Trenary Toast.....and a good cup a Mud in da mornin fer breafast before da Hunt!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2008, 08:59:22 pm »
  Who eats fish bait when you can eat all that fantastic Redfish, Snook, Cobia, Sea Trout, and Grouper, not to mention Stone Crab claws, Blue Crabs, oysters, Shrimp, Crawdads, crab cakes ,, oh man I'm hungry now.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline david w.

« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2008, 09:15:50 pm »
why dont you come to illinois. we have corn :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2008, 11:02:07 pm »

Nice New Moniker there!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

StickBender55

« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2008, 10:42:08 pm »
New to the site and wanted to say Hi. Name's Tony. Been involved with archery for a number of years now but just recently started working with primitive equipment. Started building my first hickory selfbow a few months ago. Only have a few hours each week to work on it. Doing this with hand tools only so it's taking a while but I am please with the progress. Seems like I am learning more about the wood this way. Look forward to getting a lot of advise from the "old heads" here.

Offline david w.

« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2008, 11:48:53 pm »

Nice New Moniker there!!!!

thanks :) forget the butter maker i am the rubble maker ;D  no sreiously i can turn a nice rock into ruble faster than anyone else  ;D
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo