Author Topic: Rasps  (Read 3902 times)

Offline DC

Rasps
« on: January 27, 2019, 12:24:44 pm »
How long or how many bows do you get from a farriers rasp before you notice it's getting dull(ish)? I've had mine for about 5 years and 60-70 bows and I just noticed that it cuts way better on the toe and heel than in the middle.

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Rasps
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 01:16:31 pm »
Maybe a year

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 01:27:30 pm »
Are you careful with files Brad, or do you just throw them all in a box like my father did? ;D ;D ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 02:19:04 pm »
   I never got mu life out of my ferrier files but I admit I was rough on them and just threw them in the box. I never use them anymore. All I use is a nicholson 49 and a scraper.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 02:24:51 pm »
I still have and use my original farriers rasp, it was given to me as a worn out rasp by a farrier. I have another one Clint gave me that is twice as heavy as the first one. I use this the most but the other one still cuts. But, I don't make nearly as many bows as I used to.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 02:42:28 pm »
My rasps never touch anything except wood.  I store them in bike inner tubes in my tool box so they never contact each other.  When I use them I only set them down on a wooden work bench.  I've been using the same rasps many years.

Pat, I'd bet a new bow that you will never wear out that farriers rasp you got from me.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 03:35:16 pm »
It wouldn't be a fair bet for me, Clint.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gfugal

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 07:11:32 pm »
Have you tried sharpening it with acid?
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 08:19:16 pm »
You need to sandblast in addition to an acid treatment if you really want to meaningfully sharpen a rasp.  The price of sharpening a farriers rasp approaches a new one.

Offline Scyth

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 08:59:50 pm »
I got into the habit of taking sanding belts cut to shape . . . 80 to 150 grit . . .
and gluing (using Barge cement)  them onto wood blocks.

The shapes are endless - I’ve got a large box filled to the brim & it fills every possible shape to woodworking.

. . . I’ve used them for 25 years . . .

I used to have an assortment of beautiful rasps . . .  BUT ! ! !

regards

Scyth
"Retirement is not a word in the dictionary of craftsmen
and I will carry on my work a long as I can . . . "

- Yang Fuxi

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 03:35:39 am »
Like Clint, my rasps never touch anything but wood. That's one of the first lessons I give new bowyers who come over. First time they stack them on top of one another, my best tools get put away until they go home.

I rarely use a farriers rasp, but when I do, it better cut like a new one. I was given a couple dozen used rasps by a farrier one time. I couldn't give those things away fast enough.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 04:22:28 am »
I use mine a lot. I'm like Clint only touches wood and always have a file card to clean it. Never put it away with wood stuck in it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 06:00:47 am »
I use mine quite a lot, especially on walking sticks, not much on bow but don't really take very good care of them. They work fine for me and have for years. Mostly us a 49/50 and scrapper, They probably don't cut as good as some but do all I need. :) I like the used ones I get from a farrier friend of mine, I have had new ones but they are to sharp for me, like the old ones better, guess it just depends on what you get use to.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 06:40:13 am »
I made at least 125 bows with a #49 and 50, they seemed to cut well until I picked up a new #49 on ebay for $20 and realized just how dull my rasps were.

I sent my rasps to Boggs tool to be resharpened, they came back like new. For first time customers the first one was free so I had $4 and shipping invested in getting essentially new rasps.

I understand Boggs sells the new #49 and 50s made in Brazil. They found they aren't as sharp as the old American made ones so they sharpen them before they sell them to be equal to the American ones.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 10:45:18 am »
I beat on my tools and pay no attention to them. I replace them every 2 years usually.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.