Author Topic: New to Bow building  (Read 8547 times)

Offline tomwatson

New to Bow building
« on: April 06, 2008, 12:17:23 am »
First off, I would like to say hello to everyone. This is my first time posting on this wonderful site. I would like to get started in the world of bow making, but I am unsure where to start. I have checked out a few dealers on the web that sell U-finish kits, and I am wondering if this would be a good way to get started. I am a little concerned about tillering my first bow, so I figured that I would buy one already tillered to my draw. I am also planning on going to the Primitive Archery Expo next weeked in Ohio. Who would be some good folks to talk to at this event. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

humaza

Re: New to Bow building
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 12:32:01 am »
Yeah I was considering a thread like this.

I may be native but my family hunted with guns =P

What I would like most is to go up to white oak mountain and find a tree and make a shooter. I dunno about lamination, doing backings, doing curvatures. I've been reading PA for a year or so, i'm not sure what most of the technical terms mean.

Mostly a stick that throws other sticks.

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 02:02:24 am »
I'd recommend to you what the first fellow I ever asked about bow building recommended to me: find yourself a copy of the Traditional Bowyer's Bible. Any one of the volumes has a TON of awesome information on all kinds of bow building, ranging from the very beginner to expert. You're certainly in the right place, because the folks on this board will help you with any problem, question, or uncertainty you might have, every step of the way.

Welcome to the group, Tom!
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:50:02 am »
Get a couple of publications, ....TBB 4 is great.

3 of 4 basic tools.

a few Red oaks 2X1's, ...and start playing around,

most answers to your questions now wont make much sence, but they will more and more after each bow you attempt.

breaking bows isn't a bad thing,...... just at lot of experiance under your belt.

U finish bows are O.K.,..... but more important is getting aquainted with the process and tools
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 09:38:49 am »
Welcome newcomers to PA, you made your first decision already , you posted on here :)
the Tradidional Bowyers Boble's are good but for a good one book I would recommend Paul Comstocks-The bent Stick
available here http://www.horsefeathersranch.com/cgi-bin/shopper?key=archbookBENT&preadd=action

Also Jawge's site is loaded with info http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html

My advice is gather a few basic tools, buy yourself a hard wood board and some silk or linen for backing and get started you
will learn more in a couple days than a month of reading. It will also let you better comprehend what your reading.

Post pictures and ask questions, also see if you can find someone in your area that might be willing to take ya under their wing.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline tomwatson

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 01:09:21 am »
Thanks everyone for the advise. I can't wait to get started. My wife and I just returned from the Traditional and Primitive Archery expo in St. Clairsville, OH. The expo did not have very many Primitive displays. Gary Davis was on hand to demonstrate bowbuilding, but he was the only one. We talked a little bit, however he was very busy and I just did not have the time to take his class. I guess a good way to learn is to just get started with a good book and a few tools as mentioned.

Thanks,
Tom

Offline Canerod

• High Country Guide Service
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 11:04:54 am »
Welcome Tom. Take it from another newbie, getting a few tools and some red oak boards and just dive in. I started #1 Friday afternoon, made some bonehead mistakes and blew it up on the tiller tree yesterday morning  :o  So I read over the instructions, got #2 roughed and backed with linen and now it's floor-tillered. It really is fun and I hope to have a shooter by tomorrow evening.

Besides the Traditional Bowyer's Bibles, Volume 1 and 2, And Jawges site http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html

I liked Ferret's page  http://groups.msn.com/ferretsarcherywebpage

and this one  http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/oak.htm

Good Luck!!
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Displaced Hillbilly

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 11:05:30 am »
Don't be afraid to break a few bows. It's just wood and it is essential to learning. Even the most experienced amoung us still break a bow now and then.
Gordon

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 11:28:34 am »
Welcome to the site, and you've been given some good advice, this site is the best resources out there for info about everything primitive archery related. I would also recommend the Traditional Bowyer's Bible vol. 1 as it covers all the basics, from cutting and seasoning wood to tillering, and handling different types of wood (osage vs. whitewoods, etc.) Vol. 2 has a good chapter on building board bows. The best thing to do is read up a little, ask some questions, and start making shavings.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline tomwatson

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 11:52:08 am »
Thanks again everyone for the advise. I think I will pick up a copy of The Bent Stick soon and get started reading. I also already have a copy of Jim Hamm's book of North American Indian bows. As far as board wood to start out with, I heard that red oak is a little brittle. Would a maple board be a little better to start with? I not sure what the local hardware carries, but I was told that they should have a few different types. By the way, I just purchased the DVD Lets Do The Twist, how to make Flemish Strings. I purchased two spools of B-50 from Lost Nation Archery and I forgot to buy serving material  :-[. Can't wait to get started.

P.S. I have been picking up the Primitive Archer magazines at the local store for the last two months and reading them cover to cover, I think its time for a subscription.

Tom

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 12:13:36 pm »
Tom maple should work preferably a hard maple like sugar or black, red oak will work just fine, as will white oak.
I advise that any board be back with linen or silk. A subscription to PA is the only way to go ;) :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 01:07:45 pm »
The advice above is all great and all I can add is just jump right in there ,don't be afraid to ask questions here,all are more than willing to help all we can.Welcome and enjoy. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 01:13:21 pm »
Welcome Tom! Many great suggestions from very experienced bowyers. The "Twist" is a fantastic visual aid for folks to use and make strings with. Good luck with your new hobby. Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline tomwatson

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 01:09:04 pm »
What Kind of Basic Tools do I need to start. I already have a couple spoke shaves.

Thanks Again,
Tom

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 01:10:48 pm »
All you need is a good rasp and a scraper!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC