Author Topic: Osage Sapling  (Read 4356 times)

Offline IrishJay

Osage Sapling
« on: January 08, 2019, 06:27:07 pm »
I cut this today, I think it might be an osage sapling. The end grain photo doesn't really capture just how bright yellow this wood is. It had a good number of thorns on it that I broke off so I could carry it home with getting punctured. Each thorn was growing out of a node like the one shown.

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Osage Sapling
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 06:30:11 pm »
Got anymore pics of the bark?
What you described sounds a lot like Osage, but it could still be something else.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 07:56:18 pm »
How long are the thorns?

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 08:00:41 pm »
About a half inch, give or take. I'm trying to get some more photos up, but photobucket isn't cooperating with my uploads atm.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 08:15:52 pm »
It doesn't look like an osage sapling. I cut one years ago that was about the same diameter and it  was white sapwood and a 1/4" diameter yellow heartwood center. I could be wrong because I've seen very live osage and cut very few.
 If it is osage it can make a good bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 08:17:14 pm »
https://goo.gl/images/HhVqTN

That's from google images for "osage sapling" the bark looks right to me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 08:19:25 pm »
Were the thorns the same?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 08:21:29 pm »
Yeah, it's also very dense, just over 1 1/4" on the skinny end, not quite 1 1/2" on the wider end about 7' weighs over 5lbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 08:28:40 pm »
I'd cut it to 68", seal the ends, bandsaw it down the middle, lengthwise and bind the 2 halves together with spacers between the two to allow air circulation and set is aside for a few months at least. Slide it under your bed and forget it.  ;)
 I've made a few pole bows this way and was very pleased how they turned out. If you remove the bark be sure to seal the back.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 08:33:25 pm »
I was thinking about leaving the handle full thickness and just debarking and roughing the limbs out to about half thickness, then drying.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 09:48:48 pm »

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 03:01:29 am »
Search - Sonny Iman, Limb Bows ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 05:42:46 am »
That does not look like osage to me.  The bark and end grain look different than the osage that I cut.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 06:06:44 am »
I'm thinking that may be honey locust

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 06:07:50 am »
Uncle Bob, I agree. Sonny Iman was the king of limbows. PA did a story about him years ago written by Dade Snodgrass. That is where I first got interested in limbows. I was fortunate to meet Sonny once and on other occasions I saw a few of his bows and got to shoot one.