Author Topic: Cold hard truths about bowyering  (Read 4206 times)

Offline Bayou Ben

Re: Cold hard truths about bowyering
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 09:12:32 am »
   i use my card scraper all through the process to remove tool marks. By the time I get to sanding there really shouldn't be any tool marks to deal with.

I thought I was the only one, but I rarely have tool marks to remove at final sanding.  I guess this is common with those who rely on the card scraper in the final stages of tillering.  It leaves a smooth surface.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 09:45:40 am »
Tool marks are part of my signature!  ;D   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 09:52:20 am »
You can sand with the wet finish on the bow. When tool marks are gone, wipe down the bow and let dry. Then, proceed with as many reapplications as you want.

I found that it clogs the sandpaper, but I only tried it a couple of times. Am I doing something wrong?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 11:58:59 am »
You can sand with the wet finish on the bow. When tool marks are gone, wipe down the bow and let dry. Then, proceed with as many reapplications as you want.

I found that it clogs the sandpaper, but I only tried it a couple of times. Am I doing something wrong?

Have to keep it wet. Add more finish to keep the paper lubricated.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 12:58:09 pm »
Yep, my tool marks are usually gone long before it's time for a finish. Honestly, I don't think I've had a tool mark sneak through since my first bow. Attention to detail and a meticulous finish was drilled into me from the beginning. Thoughtful tool progression is a part of it, as is conscious elimination of them throughout the process, but I check it closely near the end using light and shadows, and with my bows being fully radiused and rounded, it's hard for them to survive, and if they did somehow, they jump right out at me. IMO, tool marks don't make it look hand made, they make it look incomplete, or hastily made.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 07:48:14 pm »
I do almost all my tillering with razor blades and sandpaper so my tool marks are easy to get rid of.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 01:21:27 am »
Thanks guys. Chuck I hope you make more vids, especially of working with juniper.