Author Topic: Elm replica ELB  (Read 4578 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Elm replica ELB
« on: December 28, 2018, 10:04:51 am »
Hi, All,

Here’s a bow I finally finished up.  Badger originally made it and gave it to me unfinished a while back (around 12 years ago, I think).  He unexpectedly sent me five fine ELB bows in return for a couple of ERC staves I sent him, because that’s the kind of guy he is.  One by one, I’ve finished them up and given them to worthy recipients.  This one was my favorite, and I’ve held onto it all this time.

My soon-to-be son-in-law turns out to be a fan of medieval weapons, so I decided to finish this one up for him as an English war bow replica (or reasonable facsimile).  I restraightened it, final sanded, added water buffalo horn nocks I made from from pet store horn, gave it a leather grip, a bit of Purple Heart for the arrow pass, b50 string and tru oil finish.  It came out pretty nice (but I can only take credit for the final touches).  I gave it to him for Christmas, with a dozen arrows.  He liked it a bunch.

It’s 72” TTT, 70# @ 28”, 1” wide at the handle.  (I’m only drawing it around 25” in the pic.)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 07:55:53 pm by Stickhead »

Offline Bayou Ben

Re: Elm replica ELB
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 10:09:03 am »
I bet he liked it! Beautiful bow, and I'm sure it can launch a heavy arrow.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 10:48:38 am »
   I have about 200 more bows sitting in barrels unfinished I would like to turn you loose on. Good job!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 10:55:55 am »
Good job :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 11:03:28 am »
Well done! that's a nice one :D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 02:14:43 pm »
beautiful,, (SH)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 03:14:17 pm »
Sweet!!Nice story too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 05:27:30 pm »
Beautiful finishing touches Tom. Steve sure does know how to make them bend.  )P(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 06:14:46 pm »
Nice job putting the finishing touches on that one Tom. Your not going to lose a daughter your going to gain a very happy son in law.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 08:03:07 pm »
On behalf of Steve (mostly) and myself, thanks for the kind remarks!

Steve — if you have 200 bows to be finished, and it took me 12 years to do 5, then I gotta lot of catching up to do!

... Tom

Offline neuse

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 05:51:35 am »
Good looking bow.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 08:17:22 am »
Many years ago at mojam i sat down on the bench beside the building shelter to watch Brad mercull do a tillering  demo.sat there for a while and finally looked over at the guy sitting next to me,it was steve badger i was so shocked i dont remember if i even talked to him at first but it sure made my day.he has been an inspiration to so many and passes out knowlage like candy .we should all be gratefull for what hes done for wood bow builders
and by the way you did his gift justice.your son inlaw should be very happy with the bow and the two people it came from.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 06:51:27 pm »
he has been an inspiration to so many and passes out knowlage like candy .we should all be gratefull for what hes done for wood bow builders

+1  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 08:21:32 pm »
he has been an inspiration to so many and passes out knowlage like candy .we should all be gratefull for what hes done for wood bow builders

Yeah, I imagine him driving around southern Cali in a windowless van handing out staves and half finished bows to kids. I think they had an ABC After School Special warning kids about him! 

But seriously, there are a lot of folks that can link their proficiency at making bows to Steve's teaching. He passes out his knowledge and experience with great generosity.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 08:38:37 pm »

I agree.  Steve’s no set tillering and mass theory have helped me tremendously.  I couldn’t imagine where I would be right now if I hadn’t stumbled across his work.  They are cheat sheets for building good bows.  Thank you Steve