Author Topic: thoughts of burying osage in the dirt....???  (Read 5381 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: thoughts of burying osage in the dirt....???
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 07:20:47 am »
Ever see an old buried fence post not full of checks and cracks you have to piss with? I haven't.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 08:40:50 am »
All you will gain is wet wood today and same thing when you recover them.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 08:53:32 am »
We all work hard to get our bow wood to the optimum M/C so we can make bows that achieve their full potential. I have no problem with experimentation, after all, that's how we all got here where we are in wood bow building. I can see trying this method on one or 2 staves(if you have plenty to work with) but you are asking folks that have hundreds of years of accumulative knowledge and not heeding their advise. Why not spend you time prepping your staves in a tried and true method so you can build the best bows of your ability.
We had a guy here a few years ago that heard soaking your staves in urine was the best method to use. It's obvious if you have read through our pages of info that that method hasn't been used, at least nobody has admitted it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 10:29:13 am »
And not to mention that most of the guys on this forum don't have osage readily available to them.

The osage bow I'm finishing up right now is from a $100 stave that my wife bought me for Christmas 2 years ago.  I saved it until now because I wanted to make sure my skills were at a point where I wouldn't mess up this treasured piece.  The thought of just tossing staves in a pond or burying it to experiment seems wasteful. 

I really am considering driving to AL to help you process all of this osage, as I understand you don't have much time to devote to this.  Let me know if you are interested, and I'll try and convince my wife. 
-Ben

« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 12:18:15 pm by Bayou Ben »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 10:31:19 am »
Hmm, kinda reminds me of mullet's patented magic buffalo whiz cure-all for perfecting inadequate staves.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nsherve

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 11:39:17 am »
Pat B, I ask if anyone has tried it to see what they have found. Maybe I've missed it, but it seems that nobody has. If they haven't then how can they advise me that it's a bad idea? The way you come across with this response makes me feel that you think I'm an idiot... Yes, the vast majority of the folks in this forum have much more experience than I. That's why I ask questions, and I greatly appreciate the responses of information. Just telling me I should not, with no hands on knowledge, is opinion. While I greatly appreciate opinions also (whether I also get hands on experience info or not), I have found throughout my life that it's not the same thing.
If I had to pay money for this wood, I wouldn't try it out. All I had to spend was time and gas money.
Now, if I'm coming across as an ass, I apologize. Please carry on.

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 02:35:46 pm »
We don't have experience doing it ourselves because others have done this before us and told us it doesn't work.  It's a logical fallacy to think we have to repeat the experiment time and time again.  If I wasn't allergic to Osage I would be glad to come remove sapwood and seal staves.  I'm just in Escambia county.  If it were any other wood I'd be there already.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 09:32:50 pm »
like i said, I had a friend that said an old timer made bows like that,, so it has been done,, I think if you took off the sap wood, it would work better, I am just spit balling,, but it would act as a sealent to resist bugs and checking I think,,
I think leavingn the bark and sapwood,, will slow the process to much to be practical,, but with out the sap wood,, it might keep the bugs and checking at bay,, i have never tried this,, so am just speculating,,but am making a bow from a fence post,, so know it will hold up to being in the ground ,,,the guy I knew was from east Texas so the stave may have been buried in sandy soil,, aslo in TExas it was common for the old farm houses to be on osage pier and beam,, cause it did not rot, and the termites wouldnt eat it,,i actually owned a house builit like that,,
put a moisture meter on it before and after,, so you know how its working,, or worth the effort

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 11:05:41 pm »
I think it isn't whether it works or not , but rather there is a simple, somewhat easier and quicker way to do it.  Of course, if you happen to have allergenic reaction to Osage, you will want a different method!  Also, it depends on where you live and your climatic conditions.  I don't think anyone one is attacking any one else's intelligence, either!  Me, if I buried something, I'd probably forget where the heck it was without a big sign that said "Dig here in one year" - then I'd wonder if the sign was for me or the dogs! (lol). Try it and report the results!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2018, 04:41:23 am »
nsherve, I think what Pat is getting at, in a nice way is this topic was beat in the ground a few years ago and there was even a magazine article about it. Bury your staves down here in Florida and they will look like Swiss cheese when you dig them up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2018, 07:54:40 am »
No nsherve, I don't think you are an idiot. It's your wood, you apparently have plenty of it and as I said I'm not against experimentation. Like Mullet said this subject has been beat in the ground and we as Admins and Mods have dealt with it many, many times over the last 12 or more years that I've been here on PA. My point is why buck a proven method if your goal is producing quality bow wood. I've seen all too many times what Mother Nature does as far as curing bow wood and usually it ain't pretty.
 I have a fence post that was in the ground for over 60 years. I've had it for 4 or 5 years now but when I got it it was full of checks, has worm holes in it but I will say it is hard as a rock. Whether a bow can be made with it is still to be determined. Just finding usable wood for a bow will be a daunting task.
 There are folks here on PA that would love to have a piece of osage to build a bow with. Putting an unusable piece of osage in the ground or in the lake as an experiment makes more sense to me than using perfectly good osage for the experiments. Just seems more practical to me.
 So you do whatever you want but when you ask for advise expect to get it whether it's what you want to hear or not.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nsherve

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2018, 10:42:13 am »
Pat B, I am planning to put one with huge knots and too much twist, or one too short for me (too much for me, anyway) in this experiment of mine, if I do do it. So, not one that I think is great...
I think, as far as fence posts go, the checks and splits have a lot to do with there being a lot of the post being exposed to the weather all year long for extended periods of time. I also think they may have been put in that while green, which could also have something to do with it. Once again, I have never done this so I want to see how it is when completely buried. I guess I have missed conversations of this same idea... Also, as I've said, I do really appreciate  the thoughts folks have in response.

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2018, 11:11:55 am »
I think Mullet and Brad may have touched on the important part. How wet is your ground? If you live in Arizona burying it in the dry(ish) sand might be the perfect method of slowing the drying to prevent checking. Around here the wood would just get wetter.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2018, 11:21:43 am »
Nsherve, you'll have a hard time finding anyone more patient and willing to try help answer someone's questions than Pat. We see and ask the same questions over and over on this site. We don't think any of them are idiots. It's good to ask questions. It's how we learn. How we improve. How our equipment improves. Sometimes it gets hard to answer the same questions over and over again, but Pat B is one of the guys you can count on to help out answering questions. He is honest with his answers and sometimes that's not what the person asking the question really wants to hear. I'm I'm not just talking about your questions. I'm talking about lots of questions. It's better to tell a person that their tiller isn't right and where to remove wood to make it right than to just say nice bow. We are all very passionate about our hobby. Sometimes it hurts our pride when one of our flaws are pointed out. There are very few people on this site that are trying to hurt someone's feelings. I honestly can't think of any.
I do understand your wanting to experiment. I do think your idea of burying a poor stave is a good one to cure you curiosity. My curiosity has got me asking a question though. I'm just wondering if you tried preparing any of those staves using the method so many have advised. As far as I know it's the safest most dependable method to use. I would very much encourage you to give it a try. I would very much encourage you to put up as many of the best staves you can using those methods. We're all busy. People sometimes tell me "I wish I had time to do that". I'm a very busy man. I don't have time to do this. I make time to do this. Often early in the morning. On my noon hour. Late at night. It helps keep me sane. I find it relaxing and honestly addictive. I'm not trying to make you feel bad. Honestly I think in a year you'll be thinking this was really good advice. Good Luck, sure wish I had a couple of those logs.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2018, 11:46:17 am »
  ...for general knowledge and not directed to anyone specifically...
All of the Admins and Mods work hard to make this site run as smoothly as possible. We don't allow or tolerate anything else. If you could see our "warned and banned" list(only for Admins and Mods eyes) you would be surprised. We always give someone another chance and most heed the warning. The few that don't aren't here anymore.
 The reason it is so tedious to log on initially is because of the numerous spammers that try to enter our domain. We spent many, many hours one year just keeping the spammers out. And we all do this for the love of wood bow building and Primitive Archer Magazine, our benefactor. We get to use this site for free thanks to Primitive Archer Magazine. If you didn't know that maybe you should send the editor a note of thanks.
And, the Admins and Mods aren't paid for their time. I consider it an honor and pleasure to have been selected to be an Admin and Mod.