Author Topic: Bamboo Yew  (Read 4870 times)

Offline DC

Bamboo Yew
« on: December 18, 2018, 11:36:39 am »
I finished this one about a month ago. It had the best speed I've done so far so I wanted to shoot it in some before I posted it. Spliced Yew with one piece Bamboo backing. Water Buffalo tips and inside out old leather jacket with leather laceing accent for the handle. It's 61" measured straight across and 65" NTN following the curve. It's 1 5/16" wide at the fade and 5/8" just before the recurve starts. My last Booyew took a bit of set so I made this one a 1/16th or so wider all along. It's taken negligible set so I'm pleased with that. 42#@28" so it's right about 40# at my draw length of almost 27" . I shot three arrows through the chrono. I didn't have one right at 420 grains. All speeds at 28" draw from my shooting machine.
450 grain-186fps
400 grain-189fps
300 grain(just for kicks)-205fps

Offline DC

Re: Bamboo Yew
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 11:37:32 am »
More

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 11:38:03 am »
And FD

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 12:07:23 pm »
Sweet, looks great. Boo/Yew is a great combo.
You gotta make up some flight arrows for that :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 12:22:54 pm »
Great job DC!  Awesome bow with awesome results. 
That style of bow is a lot of work and takes a lot of patience, and you obviously have the talent to pull if off. 
This one looks like you could pull it to 30" with minimal stress. 

Offline simk

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 12:32:00 pm »
Not much to ad. I see a whole lotta love, patience & skills. Thanx for pushing the limits again!
--- the queen rules ----

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 01:04:37 pm »
Thanks guys. I've got a few flight arrows, I just can't find a place to shoot them. That's a 30" arrow in the full draw picture. Set the camera timer, run in front and then draw the bow, it's hard to get it right. It's probably only 25-26" in that picture but I don't draw much more than that.

Offline Sticks

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 01:08:56 pm »
Beautiful bow and great performance.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 02:32:41 pm »
Don, that's one killer bow you've got there. It must be nice to see all that thought, effort and patience come together.   (-S

Is it worth making a shooting machine? I often wonder how much the results I get are effected by the "human factor."
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 04:08:32 pm »
Nice looking bow, DC. Well done.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rps3

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 04:18:43 pm »
Great job on a fine looking bow. That seems pretty fast in my book. Do you feel like it is easy to be accurate with, or do you have to work a little harder making sure you have perfect form?

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 04:21:54 pm »
Don, that's one killer bow you've got there. It must be nice to see all that thought, effort and patience come together.   (-S

Is it worth making a shooting machine? I often wonder how much the results I get are effected by the "human factor."
I would say yes but it depends on how consistent your results are with your chrono. That's all I use mine for. Some days I couldn't hit the sweet spot on the chrono to save my life. Very frustrating. And when I did, the results were all over the place because of my lousy release. With the machine I get very consistent results. Always within 2 fps. I can walk over to it, put in the bow and take one shot and walk away happy because that is what the bow shoots. I usually take more than one but it isn't necessary. Because of its "perfect" release your speed will go up some depending on how good your release was to start with. You won't get false high readings because the chrono just reads what it sees. If any of that sounds good to you then yes, make a machine :) :)

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 04:26:33 pm »
Great job on a fine looking bow. That seems pretty fast in my book. Do you feel like it is easy to be accurate with, or do you have to work a little harder making sure you have perfect form?

Well, I will never have perfect form ;D ;D but I shoot better with these last two bows(same design) than I have before. I little caveat, about the time I made these bows I changed from 3 finger split to two finger split. I should try two finger with one of my old bows. Maybe when the rain stops.

Offline rps3

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 04:40:54 pm »
Good to know, thanks.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 07:06:26 pm »
Slick looking bow Don, sounds like a nice one to shoot