Author Topic: Anybody used Defthane polyurathane?  (Read 15467 times)

Offline Jesse

Anybody used Defthane polyurathane?
« on: April 04, 2008, 03:17:14 pm »
I still have not found a finish that I really like. I have used tru oil, deft lacquer spray, water based poly, and others. So far I think tru oil looks the best but for me it had durability issues. Spray lacquer is easy and looks good but also had durability issues.Exterior Water based poly is tough stuff. So far its my favorite except it has a problem with grain raise. Another thing I like about the water based poly "but not in every situation" is that it does not change the tint of your wood. It is a totally clear finish with no darkening effect that you get with others.  I have not tried this Defthane polyurathane. I have the interior/ exterior platinum gloss and was going to give it a shot on an ipe bow. Just thought I would see if any have used it?  It says its good on floors,hard use areas, metal, and marine above water line.    Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Anybody used Defthane polyurathane?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 03:28:56 pm »
Haven't tried the Defthane, but Helmsman spar urathane spray works great.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 03:40:51 pm »
Thanks Hillbilly I never tried that
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 04:01:55 pm »
Well I decided to call deft and ask them about it. They claim that poly is not suitable for flexing wood as it keeps hardening with age and eventually cracks. They said lacquer has more give and is more suitable for bows. Hmmm ??? I might just try it anyway but I cant say I wasn't warned ;D
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 04:10:36 pm »
I've put thousands of arrows over several years through a couple finished with the Helmsman and never had any cracking or other problems.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 04:19:58 pm »
Yeah I know a lot of guys use poly and if it was a real problem I think it would be  known.
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 04:37:06 pm »
Helmsman spar is good stuff, but I usually use a combination of tung oil and true oil,
but my D bow named bob got lard and is the best yet ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 04:42:40 pm »
I lika da natural stuff too....Grease ....Lard and Beewax....just got to polish demn a Bit once and a while wit it....dats it!!

And it wont crack either....lest da Bow Duz!!! >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 05:10:43 pm »
I have used Depthane satin poly over Tru-Oil to remove the shine Tru-Oil gives you. I have used Tru-Oil for many years and never had a durability problems with it. If anything, it is easier to repair scratches with a little buffing with 0000 steel wool and another coat of Tru-Oil. I have hunted in some terrible rain storms, dropped my bow from a tree stand and am normally pretty abusive to my bows and Tru-Oil has always come through for me...even on arrows.
   You might try Massey finish; 2ton epoxy thinned with a solvent like acetone or lacquer thinner and wiped on your bow. Make it quite thin and wipe it on your bow with a soft rag but do only one wipe then let it dry before adding another. Jay Massey lost a sinew backed bow overboard in an Alaskan river and found it a few days later, no worse for the wear.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 05:30:34 pm »
   You might try Massey finish; 2ton epoxy thinned with a solvent like acetone or lacquer thinner and wiped on your bow. Make it quite thin and wipe it on your bow with a soft rag but do only one wipe then let it dry before adding another. Jay Massey lost a sinew backed bow overboard in an Alaskan river and found it a few days later, no worse for the wear.   Pat

Well you aint going to get away eith that ...using Bear grease or Beeswax!!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 05:43:14 pm »
The only time true oil gave me trouble was on ipe and after talking to the guy from deft I think I know why. I was wiping it down good with acetone but then not sealing it for an hour or so. He said with oily woods like that the oil comes back to the surface very fast so you should wipe it right before you seal it. That might be why it was flaking off after shooting for a while.   Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 06:19:24 pm »
Jesse, You might also try sealing the ipe with shellac first then add the Tru-Oil. Shellac will stick to anything and anything will stick to it. I like the spray type but brush on or even flakes you mix yourself are available. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 10:46:44 pm »
jesse,
for what its worth, i have a boo backed ipe elb.
i used tongue oil on the ipe ( 5 coats ) looks beautiful,the bow has several hundred arrows thru it,no problems with the finish or the bow.
it does have i shine to it though,probablt not the greatest for a hunting finish.

peace,
                                                                                   tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Jesse

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 11:11:14 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to go with the spar urathane spray in a gloss and then add satin for the last coat. Its good to know that shellac will work with anything though. Maybe next time I will try that but I bought enough stuff for now ;) I will give it a try tomorrow. The can says you can re coat every 1 1/2 hours but it might be a little longer than that in this temperature. I will post the finished bow when its done.  Jesse   

--Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 12:28:45 am »
Jesse, I have been using Varathane interior waterbased glossy polyurethane for a long time. I use a 1" sponge brush and apply  very thin coats, with a light sanding with 600 wet dry after each coat or as necessary. Under this I rub on mineral oil, and just use this for natural looking bows since it is natural as you can drink it. It does give the wood a slightly darker tone first and with a good burnishing is pretty much waterproof by itself..

For hunters I will dull the finish with 000 steel wool a touch and use a good floor wax over this..

Can't wait to see the bow!

Rich