Author Topic: unbalanced Osage Bow  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Artus

unbalanced Osage Bow
« on: November 10, 2018, 01:06:48 pm »
Hello guys!

It´s been a long time since I was around here. Had some years break from bow making.
Anyway, I recently started to continue a bow I began building before my break. And now I could need some advice please.

It´s made from Osage and 66" long the handle is 35mm wide,150mm long and asymmetrical. The limbs tape from 40 to 10mm.
Unfortunately I made a design mistake back then, by making the deflex limb the lower one.
At the moment the bow is tillered to half brace height and looks good so far. But due to the unbalanced shape the grip drops away from my hand when I try to pull the bow. And the tiller is hard to judge, with the deflex in the one limb and the reflex in the other.

Now I have the plan to put a deflex in the other limb too, and give both a strong reflex.
Any thoughts on that?

Here are some pics (the left limb is the upper one):

Thanks!

Offline TimBo

Re: unbalanced Osage Bow
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 01:22:34 pm »
I really admire the bowyers on here who can pull off a wonky bow like that without heat correction, but I sure can't do it myself!  Your idea to get the limbs matching sounds good to me.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 02:02:48 pm »
if the bow was braced I could tell more,,
but if you even out the limbs it will be easier to tiller,,

Offline rps3

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 02:47:59 pm »
With that bow, I think I would do just as you suggested, but I have to admit, I enjoy making an unbalanced looking bow that bends just right, but different for each limb, and ends up shooting an arrow perfectly.

Offline Artus

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 01:55:52 am »
Thank you!
The next time I get around to continue my work, I‘ll even it out.
@rps3:
Same here but the handle leans towards the belly and drops away when the bow is pulled. Hence it‘s very uncomfy to hold.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 06:39:45 am »
You have to forget about having the classic tiller shape. Tiller each limb  to do an equal part of the work and the bending should start at the end of the fades. Note where each limb begins and ends when bending and make sure they move the same distance.

Looking at your pull point ...it should move straight and evenly down the center without moving to one side or the other.

There is a chapter on tillering non typical staves in TBB 4 I believe.

In my early days, tillering one of these  was a petty regular occurrence.

Now I try to even the limbs off with heat. Makes it easier.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 07:24:07 am »
Ahhhh. The good old days huh George!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Artus

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 08:27:49 am »
Just to be perfectly sure: You don‘t see a problem in heat bending, even with dry wood? No concerns about the reflex that could disappear during tillering?

@George:
Currently the limbs move the equal distance. The problem is the leaning habdle, that makes the grip uncomfortable, when pulled.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 11:05:38 am »
Build a steamer and heat that imperfections out of that thing, like Jawge said things get a lot easier ....
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Artus

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 02:12:46 pm »
Thank you all!
The easiest thing would be of course, to steam out the deflex near the handle on the right limb. But it‘s dangerous to raise a splinter.
I think it‘s safer to put a deflex in the green area and a reflex in the red.

Offline Artus

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 03:48:48 pm »
I finally had time to work on it.
I sinewed the back and flipped the ends. The tiller isn’t perfect, but I‘m down to 35#, so I‘d like to leave it as it is. What do you gentlemen think?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 05:04:58 pm »
Maybe even it up,,..and put more Sinew?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 06:14:08 pm »
Artus,
          I think you done a great job...A hell of a good job...Would love to see you draw in hand...Balance is the key...http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,62531.0.html...
          If your happy, you have my vote...
                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 01:55:37 am »
well done! I have one like this, didn't correct any: one limb  got chrysals all over the working part. My brother shots it. I´m curios how long...
Hope to see this in real one time...
b2w

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 03:15:31 am »
That looks real good. How is that balance when drawn on the hand? That’ll be one of the best indicators of the weight of the limbs is balanced in those uneven profiles. You can feel it wanting to tip to the stronger limb, you can draw it in front of a mirror too to see if it is starting to tip one way or the other. The challenge of those kind are worth it when they come out shooting well

Kyle