Author Topic: Maple-backed Yew D/R  (Read 8176 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Maple-backed Yew D/R
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 02:21:37 pm »
Good job, I like doing yew billets for a belly with a continuous back. best of both worlds :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2018, 03:52:45 pm »
Thank you all.  :)

I hear ya Simson, we debated that on the tiller check thread and I decided to leave it as is. Mostly cause I wanted to avoid set and didn't want to loose anymore weight.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 12:56:20 am »
Thank you all.  :)

I hear ya Simson, we debated that on the tiller check thread and I decided to leave it as is. Mostly cause I wanted to avoid set and didn't want to loose anymore weight.

Yep Jeff, leave it like it is when you like it - and 170fps don't lie!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 02:50:41 am »
Your bow looks awesome mate. You must be well chuffed!
Si-ed  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline simk

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 01:18:20 pm »
Hey Mr. Upstate, I'd love to once touch that bow and let the arrows fly. Maybe - when the time is ripe - hopefully - I'll be able to do something similar. So your backing strip is right the outer rings of a tree as if ob a sapling bow? What machinery do you use to cut the strip from the stave properly: Bandsaw? Circular saw? And then carefully reduced with a beld sander?
Thanx for showing and cheers.
--- the queen rules ----

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2018, 02:44:37 pm »
Thanks sieddy. I had to look up the definition of "chuffed."  O:)  ;D

simk, I'd love for you to shoot it! Only a handful of guys (and one gal) have ever shot my bows and hearing what they have to say is always priceless. So yes, the backing strip is the outside of a sugar maple (just under the bark). I start with a sledgehammer, wedges and a hatchet to get a roughed out piece that's thin enough to run through the bandsaw. Then I use a joiner to flatten it out and get it close to 1/8 of an inch. Lastly, I use a belt sander and calipers to finish it off. It's a lot of work, but at least I know I've got a very solid backing.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 04:52:39 am »
Well done! Observed your previous attempts and they got better each time. The speed on this one says it all. Pretty finish too! I see more patterns and paint on bows lately. Nice way to make a bow stand out even more.

Offline Hans H

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 06:45:46 am »
Jeff,
I like it!, nice lady
Hans
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline Will B

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 06:57:42 am »
That is a great looking bow.  Persistence paid off!  I like the design on the back of the bow...great job!

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 08:02:39 am »
Excellent job Jeff!  I bet she's smooth and obviously fast.  A fun shooter I'm sure.  I like the art work too. 
And you've inspired me to make backings that way.  I've read about Marc doing it that way but never tried it.  Should be a reliable rock solid backing. 

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 08:09:05 am »
Jeff that's a beautiful bow  and sounds like a contender for MJAM flight shoot. Well done. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline simk

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 02:30:29 pm »
Sir thank's a lot sir for unveiling that backing secrets  ;D I was thinking about a hazel-backed one often - maybe I should try. Do you think it works with a nice 3 - 3 1/2" diameter stave? [and yes, the ornaments are very nice too] cheers 

[never backed a bow but it looks like fun]
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2018, 03:06:57 pm »
Great job! That a beautiful bow and great profile. I bet it's a shooter too.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2018, 07:53:30 pm »
Thanks Leon, I do feel like I get closer to what I'm aiming for with each attempt. It really is true that mistakes can be the best teachers.  (--)  :BB

Thank you Will. Maybe I should call this bow "persistence."  :D

I'm pretty sold on cutting my own backings now Ben. It's kinda tedious, but the peace of mind is worth it IMO. Thanks for helping me understand how to make this style work. Your input has been spot on.  :OK

I'd love to try some flight shooting Arvin. That video of you shooting your bow looked like it must be a great feeling.  (SH)

I think it could work with a smaller diameter stave simk. There'd be a bit of a crown, but with a tension strong wood that shouldn't be a problem. Never tried hazel, but give it a try and let us know how it works!

Thanks Mark, much appreciated.  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline jimjimmysticks

• practice keeps me calm in the game
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 11:11:07 pm »
yup thats a gooooood one