Author Topic: My dream bow  (Read 4621 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: My dream bow
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 11:49:05 am »
Don't take this the wrong way, but I believe you are trying to draw conclusions with not enough data points. 
A good bowyer could make you a nice shooting reliable bow with almost any of the known bow woods.  The list is very long... Look up List of Potential Bow Wood Species.  It boils down to what you want and what the bowyer has the most confidence in.

No offense taken, Ben.  You are absolutely right--that's why I keep asking so many questions!  ha ha  My opportunities to try out different bows are extremely limited, so it is a challenge trying to define what I want so I can have an intelligent conversation with a bowyer.

I have been reading a LOT about different bow woods.  You're right, it's a bit bewildering.   Fascinating, too.  There is so much info online it's hard to know what to take seriously, sometimes (like the assertion that bamboo always follows the string, which I recently read somewhere).  A lot of you have firsthand experience, and there's no substitute for that.  I really appreciate everybody's input.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:52:06 am by WhistlingBadger »
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 07:35:10 am »
Well, after carefully considering all of the above, doing a lot of reading, and talking to a few different bowyers, I decided to order a black locust selfbow from Curt Brisky.  Should have it around the middle of next month.  Needless to say, the wait is driving me crazy.

Here's a fun little sub plot to this story:  I'm also a musician, playing and recording Celtic music (among other things, I play the pennywhistle, thus the first part of my online nickname).  About the same time I was ordering this bow, I was also ordering a new bodhran (Irish drum).  The drum maker, who happens to live just a few miles away from Mr. Brisky, happened to mention that he has some beautiful black locust lying around.  So, it looks like I'm going to be the only person I know who has a matching bow and bodhran set.  Not that I plan on using them together, all that much.  I find that wild critters in general are not music lovers.   :-D

Anyway, thanks for all the advice and help as I was figuring out what I wanted.  Much appreciated.  Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 12:05:23 pm »
Methinks, the penny whistle would work better on game than the bodhran!  The problem arises when you try to put down the whistle and pick up the bow (SH) :-D :G (B) (-_) -C- (lol)!  I would have a similar problem with my harp, so I don't hunt with it >:D (lol)!  But my dogs usually come in when I am practicing.  Little Fiddle Woman is the musician, I'm the seannachie!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 01:42:48 pm »

Methinks, the penny whistle would work better on game than the bodhran!  The problem arises when you try to put down the whistle and pick up the bow (SH) :-D :G (B) (-_) -C- (lol)!  I would have a similar problem with my harp, so I don't hunt with it >:D (lol)!  But my dogs usually come in when I am practicing.  Little Fiddle Woman is the musician, I'm the seannachie!
Hawkdancer

Well, some of my beginning students do a pretty fair approximation of an elk bugle, but I still don't think the elk would be impressed.

I did have a friend make me a very skinny whistle out of an aluminum arrow shaft, one time.  That was a fun one.  I've never tried to learn the harp, but I sure love listening to it. 
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour