Author Topic: Black walnut stave laid out - moisture content question  (Read 955 times)

Offline Thunderlizard

Black walnut stave laid out - moisture content question
« on: August 25, 2018, 03:50:25 pm »
I got around to laying out a bow on the back of a black Walnut stave that I’ve had sitting around for a while. I’ve taken off wood to the point of the topmost photo, and the stave’s been sitting for a couple of weeks.

According to my moisture meter, the content is at about 14-15%
I’d like to get it down to about 11-12%, since I’m worried it being sluggish or taking set once I get it bending.

Is 14% too high, or am I worrying too much?

I live on the ocean in Washington’s Olympic Pen, so it’s only going to get wetter out.. any ideas?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:54:44 pm by Thunderlizard »

Offline Thunderlizard

Re: Black walnut stave laid out - moisture content question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 03:55:39 pm »
Also, if anyone has any opinions on my layout, please let me know - I’m new at this.

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 05:00:44 pm »
I live on the WA coast and moisture content is always a problem. You could put it in a warm place for a week, but don't overdo it. once you get it to floor tiller stage, you could heat treat it- this will bring the moisture down temporarily.
In the end, you still live in a rainforest and will have to accept slightly more set than the desert dwellers. Making your bows a bit wider or longer than normal will help too. Keep the belly very flat too.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 06:04:11 pm »
Buy a cheap hygrometer and move it around the house until you find a spot that's around 50% RH. Park the stave there until it stops losing weight using a gram scale. The weight will vary a bit as the RH goes up and down so keep that in mind. You can rough it out first but don't get aggressive bending it.