Author Topic: Worm "tracks" in shagbark stave  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Worm "tracks" in shagbark stave
« on: August 25, 2018, 02:38:41 pm »
Took the bark off a shagbark hickory stave and discovered several worm channels that are about 2 mm deep and hole about 5 mm deep.  What is the best option - a. Leave them alone, and work them out later, b. Fill them with TB3/ sawdust paste, or c. Cut them off, and broil a steak (=) -C- >:D?  They are close to the end of the stave, leaving about 61", possibly more.  Any other options?  Also what to seal the stave with until I can work it?  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Worm "tracks" in shagbark stave
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 02:58:04 pm »
Can you get down below them?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 09:56:54 pm »
Looks like I can work down past the tracks with a rasp or drawknife. The hole may be more difficult, as it is between the tracks.  Stave is still rough, so there is plenty of wood.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 11:44:14 pm »
Every hickory I’ve cut on my land has an infestation of  some sort of grub with a spade shaped head that leaves those tracks and holes all over. I tried to cut them out by chasing a ring but that was an exercise in futility. If I had my bandsaw back then, I would have cut some rift / quartersawn backings and maybe some board blanks, but they smoked meat instead. Hickory is tuff stuff and may be ok leaving it, but it made me nervous. If you have 61” of clear stave then I’d use that if it were me.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 06:36:13 am »
I've seen them too. Any ring violation on any wood makes me nervous. Cut them off if you can. 61" is pretty good unless you have a gian draw length. You could make a bend in the handle bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 07:23:53 am »
Bug trails caused this when I tried to make a bow with a few minor holes, turns out under the surface they weren't so minor. You can see the pellets of sawdust left by the powder post beetle.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 07:52:46 am »
Three rules I recognize cutting and seasoning hickory......Never use a dead standing snag for bow wood/[optional but wise for easy removal of bark] cut it in early spring at beginning of sap flow/never let fresh cut hickory for bow wood set on ground during warm weather.
Good luck with your stave.I can't see your stave so I can't comment.Most times it's toast.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 08:13:04 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 10:00:19 am »
Every bug infested stave I’ve tried with Osage or ash has broken. Never tried hickory with bugs. I’d run away from it   Sorry but spending 6 hrs then kaboom just bums me out.