Author Topic: Backpack Bow Challenge!  (Read 76819 times)

Offline Kegan

Re: Backpack bow challenge!
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2008, 09:40:11 pm »
I'm starting the bending on mine. One recurve today, another tomarrow, deflex Thursday. So it should be done by next Sunday or so. My brother Kyle is just a few steps behind me. These little bows are stout little buggers- had it about 1/4" thick at the tips and it was bending at about 80# :o!

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2008, 10:38:34 pm »
Hey! Cool Kegan. Now I got to get into the shop and start on building one. It's going to take me some time since I only use hand tools. Time, there seems to be such a short suply of it too!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline david w.

« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2008, 10:40:42 pm »
talk to kegan he somehow makes time with some sort of "magic" :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2008, 11:30:27 pm »
Wish he could teach us how he does it! We could actually get everything done we would like too!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2008, 11:32:37 pm »
Dang Kegan-- I'm still in the thinking stage.  You'll be hunting with yours before I get mine on the tree. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline possum

« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2008, 12:34:23 am »
OK, I'm in.  Just one question though... how many arrows are we carrying?  Can we make a bowfishing set up with just the one arrow and maybe a spare? ???  I figure I may as well get some use out of this thing. ::)
Under 40" and not 40",  right?

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2008, 05:27:38 pm »
Hey Possum! Great to hear your doing the challenge. Bows need to be 40" and under.  As many arrows as you can hide out. Bow 45# and up. Cant use sinew and cant turn it into a takedown and your set! Looking forward to seeing what everyone will come up with. 

The woods will never be the same again!  ;D

Offline Aries

« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2008, 05:38:52 pm »
I already have a mess of projects lined out right now or i would be all over this. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. I may pull a few late nights and try to come up with somethin  8)
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Kegan

« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2008, 08:31:50 pm »
The magic is a hatchet and a lack of a social life ;D. Not having any responsibilities besides a few chores leaves more time to whack at wood with a hungry tree-chopper ;).

Haven't started on arrows yet. What kind of points should we put on them? I have some multi-flora that I want to try for arrows but I'm still planning these out.

What kind of case do we put these things in? Does it have to be PVC?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2008, 09:35:43 pm »
Kegan, as long as things are hidden and it does not scream "BOW/ARROWS RIGHT HERE!!!" you're  A OK!!! Might want to make one arrow a hunting point since we are going to need the ability to take down a deer. But really anything goes for these bows.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2008, 11:30:01 pm »
Kegan- Cherish those years of little responsibility.....They go by too fast.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2008, 09:23:57 pm »
D. Tiller- Excellent. Don't know as I have big enough PVC around here. Okay. I was thinking two blunts and two small broadheads (I have some of my older, smaller ones).

ricktrojanowski- I know. Helping my dad out over the summer makes me thank the Great Spirit I still have two more years of highschool.

So far the bow has working recurves and is deflexed. Gotta back it and finish drying/tillering. I have a question- are string-bridges allowed?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2008, 09:34:53 pm »
Jeesh! Keegan your going to put string bridges on it! As in Asiatic composite bow string bridges as seen on Chinese and Mongol bows? You really do have to much time on your hands! Lord to be 16 again.  ;D

Sure! Why not? Go for it!

David T

grantmac

« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2008, 09:49:47 pm »
So does this bow have to be under 40" when strung? Because I'm thinking nice long static tips could make this work, but then again I'm no good at short drawing.
Heck, maybe I just need to get working on it and call it done. It's gonna be Ipe with either Hickory or Bamboo backing, with perhaps some ears bent in.
      Cheers,
           Grant

Offline DanaM

« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2008, 09:51:18 pm »
David ifin ya would have made this a six pack challenge I would most likely be on board >:D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI