Author Topic: Backpack Bow Challenge!  (Read 76755 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Backpack bow challenge!
« Reply #180 on: September 14, 2008, 11:40:18 am »
Sean has my vote. That is a sweet little bow partner.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #181 on: September 14, 2008, 12:57:40 pm »
I'm getten ideas! How come everyone reaches for sinew when they make short bows? I think we are proving that it's not necessary!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline benjamin

« Reply #182 on: September 14, 2008, 01:11:15 pm »
1/2 primitive, what the brace height on that and have you tested it for distance or through the chrono? That looks sweet!

Offline son of massey

« Reply #183 on: September 14, 2008, 08:51:08 pm »
  ive finally decided to jump in on this, the shortys posted so far look great and seem like a very different bow to have around.   im starting off with a 36" bit of (i think shellbark) hickory that has two decent sized knots and some prop twist.   i also have a 37"er from the same tree that is a bit straighter but less clean. hopefully one of them will make it to at least an 18" draw.   in case they dont the theory/strategy i wanted to play with was a straightforward bendy handle flatbow with tillering at the ends that are just short of whip tillering-the plan is to coax more working limb from less total limb to get either the 36 or 37" staves out to 20" draws. SOM

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: September 18, 2008, 11:29:12 am »
I'm getten ideas! How come everyone reaches for sinew when they make short bows? I think we are proving that it's not necessary!
Thousands of years of evolution of bows on numerous continents have proven that sinew is the most viable option for short bows. Why make a square wheel when a round one works so well.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #185 on: September 18, 2008, 01:15:21 pm »
I would think that whatever the final result is that is should be duplicateable and durable so thats its attainable for others to do as well. I tend to agree with Justin on the sinew issue. I don't feel confident enough in my skills to make one as short as these yet, however if I did, I would sure want to make sure I could use it regularly as needed. That to me is what the sinew would ensure. Durability.  As far as reinventing the wheel, well there is wisdom in that ole adage.Just my two cents worth.

Danny

"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #186 on: September 18, 2008, 02:26:49 pm »
The NW Indians made short bows without sinew and they worked just fine. Very much as the one above!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #187 on: September 18, 2008, 02:33:55 pm »
28", no sinew

Steve in LV, NV

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2008, 03:33:49 pm »
I rest my case!!!  ;)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: September 18, 2008, 11:17:02 pm »
I rest my case!!!  ;)

???  thousands with sinew and a few without.  I don't think I would rest to much. Especially in the NW, you might grow moss.   ;D ;)

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2008, 12:42:36 am »
Too late! Moss grows on things that move out here.

Offline mnviking

Re: Backpack Bow Challenge!
« Reply #191 on: February 18, 2013, 06:56:57 pm »
how about a takedown long bow.  that should fit your requirements.  ???!!  they make them with only two bezel fasteners that you an allen wrench which is easily carried

Offline RyanY

« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2013, 12:56:49 am »
The "rules" on page three say no takedowns. I'm considering making a bow to try and fit the requirements.

blackhawk

« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2013, 02:01:03 pm »
Alright who thread ressurected n put this up as a sticky?

I don't personally agree with the rules of no sinew or under 40"...I'm a backpacker and take a bow with me...its a 50.5" unbacked bow, but it is the perfect length to double as a walking stick,and I can still reach my comfortable full draw(26" with bendy handle) without having to adapt to a not as accurate  floating short draw...plus the bow is already in hand and I have no reason to conceal it ;)

But that being said I like a challenge and forgot about thus thread and always wanted to make one by his rules....id imagine I could get an unbacked 40" to pull 22-23" smoothly before stacking.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #194 on: February 19, 2013, 09:19:29 pm »
Chris we all know you can do this !!
I think I could get a hickory 40" that far so that king wood of yours should go at least to 26 maybe 28 !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !