Author Topic: 25# Hickory Board Bow  (Read 2444 times)

Offline phade314

25# Hickory Board Bow
« on: August 20, 2018, 10:44:12 am »
I've posted this on another forum, but you guys seem more "build" orientated. My son (10.5 years old) and I are looking into making a hickory board bow. Originally I was was aiming for 15-17 pounds at 24" but then someone suggested just making it 25# at 28" inches and as he grows his draw length will increase with his strength and he will have an adequate backyard plinker the rest of his life.

Most of the designs and layouts I see are for 50# and over bows and use 2"x 1"x 60"-72" boards. Would I be safe using a 1"-1.5" wide and .5"-.75" thick board? I plan on backing it with rawhide or bamboo. Assuming 1" or 1.5" wide, and assuming I glue on a riser block, how far in can I cut the shelf? How wide does it have to be at its narrowest point?

As far as backing goes, I was planning on using bamboo, hickory, or rawhide. It has been suggested that if I go with the backing strips I see on places like 3 Rivers that the bamboo might over power the bow and increase the draw weight beyond what I am looking for with this bow. I also see that I can order .120" action bamboo, or hickory, parallel laminates. Would one or two of these make an adequate backing, or should I just use rawhide? I rather use some sort of wood, I don't know how to finish or weatherproof rawhide.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: 25# Hickory Board Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 12:36:05 pm »
Welcome to PA phade314. I'm afraid I've never built a board bow and not big on measuring things. I do know one of the most important things is to start with a good board with very little run off. A 25 lbs @ 28" draw shouldn't need much for backing. I've never done a bamboo backed bow, but as you said I'd think it would overpower any belly on that  spec bow. I have done a rawhide backed ash bow and really rawhide is easy to work with. Wouldn't be afraid of it. You could also use silk or linen. Even old neck ties. maybe some of the board bow builders can give you some measurements and suggestions for woods. Hickory would probably be a good choice.
Good Luck
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 06:08:51 pm »
I have made a crap-ton of kid's hickory bows without any backing, and a few with rawhide, some with linen backing.

The less stressed the less the limbs will need backing. Make the limbs a little extra wide, and a bit longer, and as long as the grain run-outs aren't felony level, you should do fine.

How tall is your budding Robin Hood and how likely is he to have a 6" growth spurt in the coming year?  Let's work on figuring out the dimensions of the bow!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline phade314

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 08:04:16 pm »
I was hoping to back it just to add to the longevity of it, and to gain some experience. After this bow his older brother and Step Mother want to make a bow as well. and me too :-). I can get those laminates in varying thicknesses and different woods. Hickory and bamboo seemed like the most logical choices, and they can get thin, so I'm guessing I can keep it from overpowering the board, or adding too much to the draw weight.

I was planning on making a bow out of a 72" or 68" board. With his arm stretched out at shoulder level his hand is 45" off the ground. I had his mom make that measurement so I could figure out how much ground clearance he had assuming the bow was 72 inches, that leaves the bottom tip about 9" off the ground, and he's only growing taller. I don't know his exact height, like I answer everybody who asks, he is 10.5 years old tall, maybe a little less, he's a little bit shorter than most kids his age. I'll measure him Friday.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 09:01:50 pm »
The kid bows I make are kid-tall, 1 inch (or so) wide, bend in the handle  and the handle is the widest part of the bow.

I make it as strong as the kid can draw and then finish it off.

The best scenario is to choose straight grained stock.

More on my site.

http://traditionalarchery101.com/lightboardbows.html

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 04:57:29 am »
I'd have to agree with Jawge. I'm thinking 72" long and 25 lbs at 28" backed bow is really going to be unnecessarily heavy making it a poor performer. Especially if they only draw it to 18" or 20". I'd also in courage you to visit his site.
Good Luck
Bjrogg

Offline phade314

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 07:51:45 am »
Alrighty, so I will make, or attempt to make, this bow 10.5 years old tall, +/- a few inches, pulling 15-20 lbs @ 10.5ish years old tall/2.5 inches. Thanks for the advice.

Offline phade314

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 11:03:07 am »
OK, I got some more accurate measurements. he is 55.5 inches tall, and has a wingspan of 55 inches. Could I get away with a 62 AMO 25#@28"? then he would only be pulling 17-19 lbs at his estimated draw length of 22"?

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 12:11:33 pm »
You can absolutely get 28” out of a 62” bend through bow. At his age, that’s what I would do, growth happens quick around that age and making a bow he can grow with just makes sense to me.

Offline phade314

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 03:31:13 pm »
Please pardon my ignorance, why is bending through the handle so important?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 04:10:19 pm »
It is easier for a first timer to make and will allow your son some growing room.
But once again you need straight grained stock.
Straight grained.
To understand what that ends check my site. There is info on boards for bows.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 04:27:26 pm »
We get are draw length from the amount of limb that bends. We call this working limb. We usally figure 2x draw length of working limb. A stiff handle and fades don't count. If you have a 60" bend through the handle you should be able to get 30" draw if properly tillered. Normally stiff handle 4 or 5" handle with 1 1/2" fades so you have to add 1 1/2+11/2+ 4 or 5"= 7or 8" extra length. So you need a 68" bow for 30" draw.
It just helps make a shorter bow.
A 28" draw is fairly common but a lot of vertically challenged adults are 25" I'm even a little less than that.
Bjrogg

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 05:53:15 pm »
Perfect advice from the pros. The only thing I'd contribute is in my experience it's really important to make a bow the kid will enjoy shooting.

I made one for my son that was 5 lbs over his ability, thinking he would grow into it, but soon realized that it was no fun for him to shoot. A 5 lb difference is nothing for an adult, but its huge for a kid. I want him to love archery, so I put that one aside for later and made him one he could really draw easily. He uses that one all the time.  (SH)

Just my 2 cents.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 06:30:56 pm »
Perfect advice from the pros. The only thing I'd contribute is in my experience it's really important to make a bow the kid will enjoy shooting.

I made one for my son that was 5 lbs over his ability, thinking he would grow into it, but soon realized that it was no fun for him to shoot. A 5 lb difference is nothing for an adult, but its huge for a kid. I want him to love archery, so I put that one aside for later and made him one he could really draw easily. He uses that one all the time.  (SH)

Just my 2 cents.  :)

I personally think that's the best advice you've been given. I made bows for all my grandkids just like Upstate described. There still hanging on the wall waiting for them to grow into. I finally made one they could easily draw and called it "Grandpa's Toy". Now when they come over they play with "Grandpa's Toy" and we all have fun.
Bjrogg

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 06:38:32 pm »
That kid looks like he's having the time of his life. That's what it's all about!  8)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb