Author Topic: Bean Boot ?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline JEB

Bean Boot ?
« on: August 20, 2018, 05:39:02 am »
I have a year old pair of 10" Bean boots and I having a time of it softening up the leather uppers.  I have applied boot grease to the leather several times and used a heat gun to help soak it in. The leather just seems to stay stiff. Any and every idea to soften the leather will be appreciated.

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: Bean Boot ?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 05:56:27 am »
I find hard leather needs some hard use. Walk up a hill or two a day and those should be softened up in a week or two. On a side note, anyone else notice the closer a boot or shoe is to breaking the better it gets?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 06:29:03 am »
Jon, I've worn LL Bean Maine hunting boots for many years, probably 50  (A)   and like Ryan said you just have to wear them to break them in. Once you do that they are very comfortable.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 08:44:56 am »
I never had LLbean boots but I've broken in plenty of work boots. I always like to start out only wearing them a couple hours a day until they get more broke in. Jeb I know they sell some spray can stuff for breaking in baseball gloves, might help I really don't know. It seems like the harder they break in the longer they last. Yes Ryan I agree, the more broke in the more comfortable until the soles give up or the leather cracks or wears out.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 11:38:59 am »
Once the rubber bottoms wear out you can send them back to LL Bean and they will resole them once. I've done it a few times and my pair now needs it soon.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 01:18:24 pm »
This is my 3rd pair that I have over the last 50 years.  This pair seems to have a stiffer and thicker leather upper. I wear them for a few hours once in awhile in the summer and more often now that fall is coming. I will just keep coating them with grease and hitting them with the heat gun. Hopefully  that will help the boot grease penetrate the leather and soften them up.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 07:29:27 am »
Have you tried neets foot oil? I've found it penetrates real good.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 07:53:39 am »
No but I will give it a try. Thanks to all for the help.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 01:45:58 am »
I have a Pair that's 41 years old - been resoled once. Always used Sno Seal on 'Em  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.