Author Topic: Heard a big CRACK sound but see nothing  (Read 9240 times)

Offline richpierce

Heard a big CRACK sound but see nothing
« on: April 01, 2008, 02:23:30 pm »
I was drawing my 68" long osage bow (54# at 28") this morning and at full draw I heard such a crack sound I thought it had broken.  I can see or feel nothing at all even on the tillering tree and the draw weight is not diminshed.  I have one small sinew patch over a worm hole, put on with hide glue.  Could that be it?  I've shot only about 200 arrows with the bow.

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Heard a big CRACK sound but see nothing
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 02:38:20 pm »
Could just be the hide glue cracking, sometimes new stuff will do that.  Could be the patch slipping loose of the wood.  Or could be the wood popping a splinter under the patch.  Keep an eye on it but I'd keep shooting it.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 04:02:06 pm »
does the Sinew Patch go all the way Around the Limb??? Could be coming loose....I would put the Patch on heavy on the Back....and wrap a fine layer all the way around the Limb for support....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 05:38:28 pm »
It's rarely a good sign when your bow starts makes cracking or ticking sounds. If it were me, I would put the bow on a tillering tree and put about 1000 pulls on it over the course of a week. If it is still holding together after that you are probably okay.
Gordon

Offline richpierce

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 05:57:32 pm »
Thanks guys.  The patch is just on the back, 1" x 2".  The sound scared me.  I will draw it 1000 times and see how it goes.  I don't have a tree with a pulley so I'll wear a catchers mask and a helmet!

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 07:17:07 pm »
I would wear the "lower body" protection too.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 07:32:09 pm »
I would patch it right....and then build a Tree...cause I have the Scars to show what a Blown Bow can do....along with the Battle Scars on the inside of My Garage Door where the Pieces hit too....not a pleasurable experience pulling Hickory Slivers out of your Neck and Bicep....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 07:45:17 pm »
I blew up a bow for the first time a few weeks ago.  Wow!!!  Be carefull and make sure no one else is around just in case.  On a different bow I did a sinew patch it creaked the first time I drew it back but after that no sound.   Was the sound made on the first draw after the patch  was made or after 200 shots with the patch?
Traverse City, MI

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 09:48:45 pm »
Rich, an exploding bow can be hazardous at close quarters. Not to mention it can mess with your mind and shooting if it breaks. You really should use a tree and be standing well back for something like this.
Gordon

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 09:54:20 pm »
A sinew backed bow can make noises at first
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 10:49:44 pm »
Be careful. I had a sinew-backed locust static recurve that made one of those "mystery noises." I put it on the tree and pulled it to full draw about twenty times. Then I went out and started shooting it. A few arrows later, I not only heard a louder crack, but saw stars and little tweety birds circling around my head.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 09:27:12 am »
You can pull the bow to about 20" on a T stick and examine it closely. If there is a problem it will show at that draw length, wear glasses when you do the examination
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline richpierce

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 11:33:34 am »
Will be careful.  Drew it 100 times last night with no sounds or apparent problems.  Pull weight is still the same.  I think it was some hide glue popping on the patch.

Offline uwe

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 04:36:11 pm »
On the tillerboard it would show a cracked area and a risen splinter on the back when pulled. I think it could be the glue, although "distance diagnoses" have to be handled carefully!Think about: its your face behind the spring!
Regards Uwe

Offline richpierce

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 11:07:13 pm »
I peeled off the sinew patch and sure enough, there's a splinter rising up.  I think this bow is done.  It was a stretch making a bow from this log, which I found with the bark rotted off, badly checked, and with worm damage, let alone the twists and snakiness and knots.  I learned something though!