Author Topic: question on silk backing  (Read 1514 times)

Offline ntvbowyer1969

question on silk backing
« on: July 31, 2018, 08:09:03 pm »
hello guys and gals. I was wondering if anyone has ran into trouble with gluing silk on the backs of bows and having the silk change colors from darkening when we with glue. I was wondering if anyone found a solution to this problem? I was thinking about not applying until the glue was good and tacky before installing the silk therefor not causing so much bleed through causing the darkening. I was also worried about going that route and not have the glue go into the material enough to get a good bond. The reason i am concerned about the changes in color is i want to glue a snake skin over the silk and i want the color of the silk to show through. any advice would be awesome thx. Anthony

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: question on silk backing
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 08:24:32 pm »
You want the glue to saturate the silk for the best protection. What glue are you using? Thinned white carpenters glue should have minimal effect.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 09:31:21 pm »
Hello Pat. yea i know i want to saturate it from the other bows i have done. I use titebond 3. i hunt a lot in the rain and humid weather so i like the way it repels water. In this instance i am trying to maintain a majority of the color of the silk so it will show through the skins i am gluing over top where the transparent scales are. it seems when the silk gets wet from the glue it changes for a majority of colors i have tried on test scraps of osage.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 08:00:21 pm »
I’ve tried clear epoxies just for this reason, and still have the same issue. I think there’s no way to avoid that. It’s just like when putting clear coats on wood, color always changes some. You could always get a lighter color silk, and experiment with glues to see how much the change is, and possibly end up with the color you originally intended.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 08:39:24 pm »
Use a rawhide backing and color it however you want. Rawhide makes a good paint pallet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 09:54:35 pm »
You're always going to run into that problem due to the fact that material changes color with "wetting".  Silk is really bad for that.

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 10:27:54 pm »
Thx guys off to the bow dungeon to experiment. I might also try some leather dye. i like silk because its lighter than rawhide. i will see and will let you all know how it turns out.