Author Topic: experiment  (Read 963 times)

Offline timmyd

experiment
« on: July 10, 2018, 08:53:49 am »
so waiting for that hickory recurve I posted up earlier to stabalize I thought I would experiment. I had finished up this 66" osage bow last year but it came in light at 36#. so I thought I would experiment on it. cut it down to 60" and recurved it. I'm going to tiller it back out and see what it comes in at. if it still is on the light side I think I'm going to sinew it. I've been wanting to do a sinew backed bow for a while and I think this would be a great candidate. it's a very clean piece of wood. absolutely nothing on the back. that's why I was disappointed when it came in so light

Offline bushboy

Re: experiment
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 09:29:41 am »
My guess is you will have a 55# bow now.heat treating is also a option.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:24:58 am »
   Why do you think it came in light?

Offline timmyd

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 11:02:24 am »
it came in light because it was my first self bow after a few years hiatus and my skill level was very rusty. I took too much off at floor tiller so the time I got it on the tree and worked the tiller out, it was 36#. LOL I'm going to let it sit today and hopefully get a string on it tomorrow and pull it to see where we are. I'll be asking for advise

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 01:45:10 pm »
 I really like the profile on your bow maybe you could pike it a bit I don't know what weight your looking for but if the tiller is good it's a shame to chop on that beautiful looking bow , but I'm coming from a perspective of every time I have tried to change a exciting bow to some thing else it never works out for me I would rather start over and make improvements on the next  one ,but that's just me !
If you fear failure you will never Try !