Author Topic: hickory recurve build  (Read 1383 times)

Offline timmyd

hickory recurve build
« on: July 05, 2018, 08:52:10 pm »
well I thought I would start a thread on this bow I'm working on. I've never built a primitive recurve so I figured I would post here and hope someone can help steer me through this. here are the first pics of the steaming, clamping and resultant profile. it's not that extreme so here's hoping it doesn't pull out. I'll put it in my drying box for a few days before I start tillering so won't be working on it till next week.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hickory recurve build
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 09:04:44 pm »
Once it's dried a few days heat treat the bent area to help set the added curves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 05:26:23 am »
Make sure you put it back on the caul to do the heat treating. Looks good so far
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline timmyd

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 07:19:23 am »
it's pretty thick yet probably 1/2" at tips. should I get it bending close to floor tiller before heat treating?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 07:56:43 am »
If you do that you might pull out the recurves. I'd heat treat them to set the curves then maybe the whole belly later.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline timmyd

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 08:32:23 am »
10-4...thanks will do