Author Topic: Mojam flight shoot trophies  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Aaron H

Mojam flight shoot trophies
« on: July 05, 2018, 01:46:26 pm »
  Mojam holds a special place for me, so I thought it was about time I give back to such a great group of guys and gals, so several months ago I volunteered to build the trophies for the first broadhead flight shoot happening at Mojam.  I am pretty pleased with the results, and I hope the winners will like them as well.
  I built one for each of the two main classes, self bow and backed bow.  For the backed bow I decided to build a static recurve, and for the self bow I chose a reflex / deflex profile.  I also put a little wiggle in the self bow.

Both of these are made of brass, soldered at the joints.  They are both 1/8th scale models.  The arrows are .045" and the string measures just .013".   I would say the most difficult part was soldering the fletchings onto the arrow shaft.  Trying to keep them all aligned while joining the 3 simultaneously was challenging.  I think I made 7 of them before being satisfied with 2.   ;D.

They are mounted on walnut bases.  My wife Josephine thinks I should put an etched plaque on each.  What say you?

I enjoyed building them, something different for a (hopefully) exciting event.

Make your way to Marshall, Mo in a couple weeks and join us for some fun and your chance to take them home with you.

Offline Aaron H

Re: Mojam flight shoot trophies
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 01:47:27 pm »

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 02:23:07 pm »
Awesome job Aaron they are real trophies beautiful !!
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 02:28:56 pm »
That is very impressive sir! An etched plate with info would be a great addition, but they are stunning as is!

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 02:36:10 pm »
   Aaron, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you doing these trophies. It really adds a lot to the event. beautiful job on those.

Offline Patches

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 02:36:27 pm »
Aaron, those look great!  You sir are a very skilled craftsman.  Whoever wins one of those should be very honored.

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 03:01:01 pm »
Beautiful work, Aaron. Great flight shooting trophies.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 03:11:51 pm »
If ya do the plaque thingy, would recommend as small and unobtrusive as possible. So bow/arrow take center/center stage.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 03:15:37 pm »
Aaron, every time I think I've seen it all, someone steps up and demonstrates a higher lever of character, craftsmanship and forethought. You've done it in all three categories with these trophies. What an awesome way to give back to this community.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 03:16:09 pm »
Oh my. That's real tallent and craftsmanship! Im just floored!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 03:34:07 pm »
Those look better than my bows im gonna shoot!
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 03:59:29 pm »
I knew when you volunteered to make these Aaron it was going to be in good hands.You did'nt disappoint,and in plenty of time before the event to boot.Thanks for doing this!!!Beautiful work!!!
It seems this arrow making is a chore in more ways than one from what I've heard.
PS....Like the wiggle in the self bow too!!!!
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 04:43:57 pm »
Plaques yes. Wife is right. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Online Bob Barnes

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 06:13:36 pm »
most excellent job Aaron!  thanks much...   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 06:17:54 pm »
Thank you all so very much. I really enjoyed building them, it was a fun journey