Author Topic: Buff horn at Walmart  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Buff horn at Walmart
« on: July 03, 2018, 02:53:17 pm »
I noticed they had some pretty nice sized pieces of water buff horn in the dog chew section of Walmart today. I picked up a piece for tip overlays, the cost was about $6.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Buff horn at Walmart
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 08:35:35 pm »
Yep, I thought it was quite the find.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 06:48:16 am »
How many bows can you get out of that piece?

Here's another good deal... I've been getting horn on the big auction site. If you do a search for "buffalo horn scales 3/4" you'll find the seller I get them from. The pieces are each 3/4 x 2 x 5" of polished smooth horn. If you plan your cuts, you can get 12 bows worth from the two pieces he sends... which puts it at about $3 per bow with shipping. I got two pair, or four slabs a couple weeks ago and they're perfect, solid, no cracks or voids.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 07:41:26 am »
I can never find good pieces at the pet store so I did the same as Dances with squirrels except the horn I got wasn't shaped. Raw natural horn for about 3-4$ a bow and if I was more frugal on my cuts I could probably get another bow or two from one horn.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 07:42:57 am »
Not a bad deal for a quick pick up at the Mart. I bought a massive box full of whole horns years ago when Randy "Guar" was still in Guam, he shipped them to me. I have enough for life and have given away nearly half of it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 10:55:34 am »
I got a big bag of buff horn tips on there a few years ago too for a real good price. I use those ones for ELB tips.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer