Author Topic: Flat bow Tillering  (Read 8803 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Flat bow Tillering
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2018, 07:09:15 am »
My experience, after making many board bows, is that they take less set than bows made from log staves, Nicole. A properly chosen board with straight grain and no knots will work just fine for your future efforts.

However, working with log staves is just so much more challenging and enjoyable. I just turned 70. I picked out a nice osage stave  but I've been postponing attacking it. More work. LOL.

I've also made a lot of bows from log staves and I sure wish my first efforts looked as good as yours.

Keep up the good work!

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2018, 11:04:32 am »
Nicole,
You do good work!  I'm impressed!  Btw, what tools are you working with?  I'm also a bit envious!
Congratulations!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Nicole

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2018, 02:19:14 pm »
To be honest i have no idea what my draw length is. Every method i try gives me varying results. The arrow im using is 27 inches from nock throat to tip. I think im at full draw, but im self taught so my form is probably terrible. My scale says im pulling 16 pounds at full draw. Ive shot it. I compared it to my factory bow which is an of the shelf model. it gives me relatively constant center area shots. This bow, an of the hand version, goes wide left and right every now and then. im not sure if its because im not proficient in of the hand style shooting yet or bow design issues. The target i shoot at is about 3 meters away and a little low.

Offline Nicole

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2018, 02:26:45 pm »
Nicole,
You do good work!  I'm impressed!  Btw, what tools are you working with?  I'm also a bit envious!
Congratulations!
Hawkdancer

Thank You so much for that. In the beginning i used rasps to cut out the form. Im afraid of power saws. Everything was so uneven though since im not an adept, so i began trying to hacksaw it. once i got it floor tillered i used scrapers and to finish. and of course a lot of sandpaper to smooth everything out.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2018, 02:32:06 pm »
First off, let's critique your form.  Look at the arrow and draw a straight line following the line of the arrow back from the nock, though your fingers, then hand, then wrist, forearm and elbow.  It should all be one straight line. Your elbow might be just a tinly little bit high, but mine is always higher than that, despite my best efforts.  So call that one an A-.   Your bow arm looks to be crooked lightly at the elbow.  That prevents wrist slap of the string and having a randomizing effect on the arrow flight. Call that an A.  Your feet are planted about the width of your shoulders so that you are balanced and steady, A+.  It looks like you are pulling your shoulder blades together instead of holding the bow arm perpendicular to your chest, great!  Another A+. Ok, now that you have a good stance, open posture, and if you like your anchor point then I would suggest you continue doing as you are doing now.  Others may be able to refine this, but I am gonna say you pretty much got this nailed, sister!

And I would definitely suggest you shoot this bow as much and as often as you can while you are building the next bow. Bows are not like romantic partners, despite how much in love with them we can often deeply fall. There is no need to feel guilty for looking on to the next one while you are taking this one out!  Nor is there any shame in going back to an older one while the newer one waits around for you to come back. Be true to your beau, play the field with your bows.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2018, 02:50:37 pm »
Form looks good to me but I'm far from an expert. Looks like about 3" of a 27" arrow sticking out there so I would put your draw length at 24". We've had a few threads on here about "accurate" bows and the consensus is that there is no such thing. Accuracy is in the hands of the shooter. Your "aim point" may change from bow to bow but once you sort that out it's up to you.

Offline Nicole

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2018, 02:54:45 pm »
First off, let's critique your form.  Look at the arrow and draw a straight line following the line of the arrow back from the nock, though your fingers, then hand, then wrist, forearm and elbow.  It should all be one straight line. Your elbow might be just a tinly little bit high, but mine is always higher than that, despite my best efforts.  So call that one an A-.   Your bow arm looks to be crooked lightly at the elbow.  That prevents wrist slap of the string and having a randomizing effect on the arrow flight. Call that an A.  Your feet are planted about the width of your shoulders so that you are balanced and steady, A+.  It looks like you are pulling your shoulder blades together instead of holding the bow arm perpendicular to your chest, great!  Another A+. Ok, now that you have a good stance, open posture, and if you like your anchor point then I would suggest you continue doing as you are doing now.  Others may be able to refine this, but I am gonna say you pretty much got this nailed, sister!

And I would definitely suggest you shoot this bow as much and as often as you can while you are building the next bow. Bows are not like romantic partners, despite how much in love with them we can often deeply fall. There is no need to feel guilty for looking on to the next one while you are taking this one out!  Nor is there any shame in going back to an older one while the newer one waits around for you to come back. Be true to your beau, play the field with your bows.

wow i didnt expect to get such amazing and constructive feedback. Thank you 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2018, 06:21:22 pm »
Nicole I'd say I pretty much agree with JW. Your form at least in this full draw picture looks pretty darn good. I think Hawkdancer is probably pretty close on your draw length to. As for it shooting to right or left sometimes, it could be in your release, anchor point, or how much or little you cantering the bow. That light of bow actually is tougher to get a good smooth release than a bit heavier one would be. Like JW said if you like that anchor point you can stick with it. For me I "aim" with my bow arm and come to a consistent anchor point with my draw. You've probably already heard it, but consistency is so important. I also agree with JW on leaving that bow as it is and just keep shooting it. If you want a heavier bow just start another. I feel the same way about my bows as JW described. I'll shoot another bow, but my wife is stuck with me. All in all I'd say you did very well.
Bjrogg
PS it does seem like this photo is a bit distorted from resizing? Still a nice bend.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2018, 07:15:59 pm »
  A+ on the bend Nicole...As I said you have an eye for an even bend...Looks like most of the twist is gone from the earlier camera angle...
                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Nicole

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2018, 11:33:18 pm »
  A+ on the bend Nicole...As I said you have an eye for an even bend...Looks like most of the twist is gone from the earlier camera angle...
                         Don

I did some scraping on the trouble spots and it seemed to work.

Offline Nicole

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2018, 11:40:09 pm »
Form looks good to me but I'm far from an expert. Looks like about 3" of a 27" arrow sticking out there so I would put your draw length at 24". We've had a few threads on here about "accurate" bows and the consensus is that there is no such thing. Accuracy is in the hands of the shooter. Your "aim point" may change from bow to bow but once you sort that out it's up to you.

thanks to something you said in this comment i realized that my tillering tree was marked wrong. what i thought was 20 was 26. Glad i figured that out.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2018, 12:06:19 am »
Pic of full draw does seem squished!  Hope my hickory turns out as nice!  Aiming for about 43#- 46# @26".  That's a different thread.  I agree with JW, keep being Consistent!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2018, 05:51:01 am »
To be honest i have no idea what my draw length is. Every method i try gives me varying results. The arrow im using is 27 inches from nock throat to tip. I think im at full draw, but im self taught so my form is probably terrible. My scale says im pulling 16 pounds at full draw. Ive shot it. I compared it to my factory bow which is an of the shelf model. it gives me relatively constant center area shots. This bow, an of the hand version, goes wide left and right every now and then. im not sure if its because im not proficient in of the hand style shooting yet or bow design issues. The target i shoot at is about 3 meters away and a little low.

If you are using different arrows when shooting then it could simply be mismatched spine causing the lack of consistency.  If you are using the same arrow all the time then it's you
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Greg DeJanes

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2018, 07:15:05 am »
  Nicole,

The tillering on the bow is real good from what I can see here. Looks like I see about 11/2 in. string follow. That as time goes on will probably increase to 2 in.. If that amount of follow is fine with you than fine.  If you in future decide you would prefer less string follow, I would backset the handle or reflex the tips just a bit.

Good luck,
Greg

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2018, 07:18:42 am »
Form looks very good, Nicole. Have someone watch you shoot and note where the arrow is compared to the back of the bow. Measure it to the throat of the nock or bottom of the groove. That's your draw length.

As for arrows going left that is indicative of over spined arrows for a righty.
Your bow is light. Leave the arrows full width and buy the lightest arrows you can find.
Go to my site and read this-

http://traditionalarchery101.com/selfbowcare.html

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!