Author Topic: Flat bow Tillering  (Read 8805 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Flat bow Tillering
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 06:29:06 am »
   I think you have a very good eye for an even bend...Stress looks equally distributed...I think most of the twist is an optical illusion because you were low on the camera angle...A little prop twist is not a problem...
                                                                                                                                             Don
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:27:56 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 08:23:12 am »
Yes what Don said about the prop twist could very well be.Hard to tell with just pictures and the bow not in hand to check of even limb thickness.It can take a little bit getting used to using hand tools.Most will find their favorite ones to use in time.When getting close to finished draw length though a cabinet scraper takes very little off at a time and very safe and useful.All in all pretty good attempt at a bow there.Enjoy it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 08:55:26 am »
I'd take that. Are you looking to go any further than 20 inches? If so take it nice and slow and even from now on and you should be fine.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 10:47:58 am »
I agree with Don. How does it feel in your hand? Bend looks nice and even to me. Like ratherbeinthewoods said if you need more draw length or less weight take it slow and keep that nice even bend.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Nicole

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 02:41:53 pm »
I agree with Don. How does it feel in your hand? Bend looks nice and even to me. Like ratherbeinthewoods said if you need more draw length or less weight take it slow and keep that nice even bend.
Bjrogg

it does feel good in my hand. for all thats worth. im a novice all around.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 04:30:43 pm »
Nicole if. I'm looking at your tiller stick right your probably closer to a 26" or even 27" draw. We measure from back of handle to string and it looks like your measuring from where string is at brace height? In other words how far the string moves? I thought that bend looked like it was much more than 20". Sometimes when people resize the photos they get distorted but I think that's your actual bend.
Bjrogg

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 07:19:49 pm »
Nicole,
Excellent tiller on that bow.
Enjoy.
If you glued on a handle than the bending should start right at the end of the handle area so the handle does not pop off. Just some ting to keep in mind perhaps for your next one.
My site may help you.
http://traditionalarchery101.com
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Nicole

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 08:44:36 pm »
Nicole,
Excellent tiller on that bow.
Enjoy.
If you glued on a handle than the bending should start right at the end of the handle area so the handle does not pop off. Just some ting to keep in mind perhaps for your next one.
My site may help you.
http://traditionalarchery101.com
Jawge

Thanks for the link. looks like alot of good info

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 10:32:57 am »
Despite what some people think, a bow doesn't need backset,reflex just because it's a board. Plenty of stave bows take set even with reflex and most people give all bows some reflex once they get stuff figured out, looking good
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Greg DeJanes

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 10:41:25 am »
 My limited experience tells me a red oak board bow will take more set than many other woods. Set happens!

Greg

Offline Greg DeJanes

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2018, 01:14:31 pm »
Sorry! I think my point is unclear.  I have built bows from a stave and not needed to alter with reflex because reflex was present. My red oak and hickory board bows needed to have some alteration because they were flat.  Flat is the effecting characteristic not type of wood.

My wording caused the misunderstanding.

Thanks

Offline Nicole

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2018, 05:59:23 pm »
Several years ago i purchased a bow. the store wasn't that helpful and i ended up with a bow thats to heavy for me. Wondering if the one i made is adequate enough to use as a training bow considering its low draw weight?

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2018, 06:17:53 pm »
A low draw weight is great for perfecting your form. I've talked to a few guys that have deliberately made a light bow to work on their form.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2018, 06:18:11 pm »
You're tillering abilities are good so you can use that one for now and make another slightly heavier if you find it too low in draw weight
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2018, 06:51:50 pm »
Nicole I agree with DC and Marc. You've got a real nice bend there and the low poundage is good for form and building up strength. We really don't use those muscles for anything else so we build them up pretty fast after we start shooting a lot.
Do you know what your draw length is? Do you draw the bow as far as it is shown on the tree? If you shoot it for awhile and think you want more weight and don't draw it as far as it is on tree you might be able to pike it(shorten it) and you could gain some weight. I wouldn't suggest doing so if you are drawing it to where it is on tree though. For now I'd just enjoy it. Have you shot it yet? Maybe you could get someone to take a picture of you at full draw. We might be able to give you some more options.
Bjrogg