Author Topic: Flat bow Tillering  (Read 8806 times)

Offline Nicole

Flat bow Tillering
« on: June 25, 2018, 08:53:39 pm »
ok so im new to this site. Im not even sure im on the right board. Regardless im hoping someone out there can give me some feedback on my tiller. This is a 57in (nock to nock) hickory flatbow.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Flat bow Tillering
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 09:32:40 pm »
The tiller looks pretty good Nicole.Slight propeller in limbs but that's ok.It's a self bow.I take it's pulled to about 24 to 25 inches?A picture of the bow resting will tell more.Top view look would be good too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 09:38:52 pm »
I agree with Ed. The bend looks good but there is a bit of propeller twist. Check the thickness across the limbs. I'd bet one side was slightly thicker than the other and opposite side on the other limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Nicole

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 09:44:17 pm »
define at rest please

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 09:47:50 pm »
define at rest please
Unstrung.
Good point Pat.Thought of mentioning that but let it slide.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:57:59 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Nicole

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 09:58:59 pm »
Hope these are good enough.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 10:07:25 pm »
Does'nt look too bad either at rest I think.Is the back against the door knob or the belly?Is that a glued on handle?
BowEd
Ed

Offline Nicole

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 10:12:19 pm »
Back. yes i glued that on. it was necessary since this was from a board at home depot.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:29:04 pm by Nicole »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 11:26:50 pm »
Ok.You have some slight string follow then.That's ok.Parallel width limbs mostly and eliptical tillered and that's good.I would'nt hook your bow at full draw on  that tillering stick for too long any more.Do you know the poundage of your bow at the draw weight your shooting?Have you checked for even limb thickness side to side along the limb?It's the reason for your propeller twist in your limbs.If that was a board bow it should of been even thickness to begin with.When evening that up you'll lose a little poundage.
If that's your first bow that is'nt too bad.Congratulations.Next one you can try to do better.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:33:13 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Nicole

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 12:06:51 am »
Its my third actually. The poundage is 20 pounds at 20 in. im also very inexperienced with hands tool. or any wood working tools really. I only kept working on this bow for the practice in various techniques in which i am obviously lacking.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 12:17:11 am »
Nicole,
Welcome to PA!  These guys have a wealth of knowledge!  It looks like your skill with hand tools is rapidly improving, I'd say!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Morgan

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 12:20:09 am »
Its my third actually. The poundage is 20 pounds at 20 in. im also very inexperienced with hands tool. or any wood working tools really. I only kept working on this bow for the practice in various techniques in which i am obviously lacking.

Well, I started out with lots of experience with hand tools and my third bow didn’t look near as good. I think you did quite well.

Offline Nicole

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 12:27:13 am »
wow. thanks. I really appreciate the tips and i feel alot better about my progress.

Offline Greg DeJanes

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 05:45:26 am »
Nicole,
When building a board bow you will need to off set string follow with a backset to handle area, putting some curve in the tips or both. Yea I have heard that you can avoid set if your good enough at tillering. I question that.

My daughter is named Nicole.

I ounce went on a shooting get together  . We had an old fella walk up wearing a big cowboy hat. Said He was from Kansas. He had a long fat brown with age hickory bow with almost two in. of string follow. The old feller kicked al of our ----s .

My first few bows out of boards were not as good as yours.

Greg

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 05:57:05 am »
haha looking good! so exciting huh, so much to learn!