Author Topic: Question about linen backing  (Read 18707 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Question about linen backing
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 03:33:36 pm »
Thanks guys. I think as easy as silk or linen backing looks it would be a no brainer to do it on anything that was questionable plus it gives a nice little canvas for something creative on the back.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 03:46:28 pm »
Just scrape the Back good with a Hacksaw Blade or Rasp...I prefer a Blade....size it with thinned Glue....I use TB 3.....soak the Fabric in Glue....lay it on....rub it down good to get out the Air Bubbles....once it's in place good...coat it good with glue again....let it dry...cant get any easier!! Then look at the Canvas for your Artistic Talents to be displayed!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 08:30:34 pm »
Yank.  Can a guy be less picky about grain runout on board bows with a linen or silk backing?   Danny

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 08:53:19 pm »
Danny you can get away with lots of runouts with a good linen backing ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 08:59:20 pm »
Nice to know.   Danny

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 09:01:21 pm »
Yes you can...but that doesn't mean go out and grab any Board you see...still look through them all and get the Best they have to offer....Any Backing can still fail...if the Wood underneath is poor enough
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline yellow feather

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 06:54:12 pm »
I found out after posting when I went to look for 100% linen that the fabric stores here only handle a blend of 60% linen and 40% something else so it's harder to find than I first thought. Is there any place to order it cheap enough?  David
San Angelo, Texas

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 07:31:34 pm »
I bought mine at Jo Ann fabrics if that helps ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 08:26:30 pm »
Hobby Lobby has it too.... 60/40 ........Linen / cotton would be OK...but pure Linen is the way to go.....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline snedeker

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 11:16:01 am »
Looking through my wife's give away clothes, I have run into pants made of 45% linen 55 % silk that has worked very nicely.  As an aside, I was floor tillering a super thin ringed osage stave last weekend with some run outs, getting it ready for fabric backing.  Drew up a splinter with very  light very long string bending.  In this situation, one can super glue a thin hickory patch on and hope for the best - which is what I have done.  We'll see.

Dave

Offline yellow feather

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 05:21:56 pm »
Thanks guys
San Angelo, Texas

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 01:16:47 pm »
Call me screwy but I was always told NOT to scrape with a hacksaw blade that you want a smooth surface.  I have always stuck to using grooves only when using gap filling epoxy...is it different with cloth material.  I ask because I am going to glue a silk backing on a red oak bow following much the same procedure as Manny is doing....only making the bow more like Gordons hazel bow in shape.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 02:18:45 pm »
If you are using TB glue you want a smooth back(gluing surfaces), not grooves. With cloth backings I don't think it matters but why do the extra work if not necessary. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bcbull

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 02:54:42 pm »
  guys  e bay  usally has some  iv bought 8 yards of it for 6 bucks 100% pure silk  most of the fabric stores dont even carry silk or linen backin  iv seen 2 wide 100% silk ribbion  go for 3 bucks on e bay so check that out   ??? 

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2008, 03:35:27 pm »
After you suggested ebay BC I went and just bought 10yds of 2" wide pure silk ribbon for 14.00 on ebay. I felt like that was a good buy. There are 3 left at that price right now. I fgure 10yds ought to get me 5-6 bows backed with it maybe more than thatif I cut it right. Thanks for the tip. I had thought about linen buit silk should do the trick s well and maybe even be a little stronger.  Danny