Author Topic: First Osage rd  (Read 4456 times)

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
First Osage rd
« on: May 30, 2018, 02:24:35 pm »

A few weeks ago I got an osage stave from a friend of mine. He cut it narrow to get rid of all the cracks. Cracks kept appearing so he did not want to risk it and gave it to me.
I chased about five rings to get to a decent back, still some drying cracks remaining but since it is osage I decided to leave it like that.
The stave was relatively straight but had huge propellor twist. With all the cracks, a few knots and the prop twist I decided to play it safe and go for a low stressed reflex/deflex design.
Steamed some deflex in the handle and removed some of the propellor at the same time and started tillering.
The reflexed tips where steamed in after first brace. I always do this after bracing the bow so I know for sure both limbs are even and I can string the bow up without any problems after recurving the tips. (You need to make sure both recurves are exactly the same of course)
Now I wanted just a reflexed bow but the tips kinda look like recurves when the bow is strung. They open at full draw like I wanted to so I just left it like this.
I heat treated the bow and tried to correct some more of the prop twist but it did not really work out and I did not want to heat it too much with all the cracks in the belly so I left it like that. The tips needed some correction to line up. Unbraced it looks a bit weird with the prop twist but it lines up perfect when braced and drawn.
Top limb looks a little stiff mid limb. There is a big knot there with a concave spot in the back right after it and a drying crack really close to the side. That spot scared me so I left it stiffer on purpose.
This bow took me a lot of effort to get right and since it is my first and only piece of osage I decided to put my only snakeskin on it. It is a cobra skin I got from a friend of mine when I gave him a bow. He bought it more the 20 years ago.
I usually don’t make arrow passes but on this one I inlayed a piece of buffalo horn to match with the tips.
I have made a lot of laminated reflex/deflex bows but this is my first rd selfbow and I am pleasantly surprised by the smoothness and speed. It shoots as wel as my last few laminated rd’s so I will definately try some more rd selfbows! (Working on a yew rd already)

// specs
Wood: Osage
Length: 65” nock to nock
Max Width: 1.2 inch
Draw weight: 50#@28”
Backing: Cobra
Nocks/arrow pass: Buffalo horn
Handle: Leather from old jacket
String: 8 strand fastflight

// side

// top

// braced

// prop twist

// handle

// fade

// cobra

// tips

// sunny, just for fun pic

// full draw in the backyard today

Offline Aaron H

Re: First Osage rd
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 03:01:28 pm »
Beautiful bow,  looks like you did that osage justice.  Very cool looking skins and strike plate  Awesome pictures too as usual.

I bet your friend wishes he'd of kept that stave now

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 03:08:38 pm »
Nice clean osage R/D. I love the skin(s).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 03:11:12 pm »
Great looking bow!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 03:15:58 pm »
Very cool!
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 03:48:03 pm »
That is very nice Leonwood.  You have some patience on the detail finish work, it looks awesome.  It does look like a recuve, but it doesn't matter what it's called, it's a great bow.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 03:53:05 pm »
    Very Nice bow, great tiller and finish!

Offline ajooter

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 06:47:31 pm »
Awesome bow....love those skins!

Offline helmet

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 06:51:23 pm »
Yes, that is a great looking bow, excellent job!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 07:53:23 pm »
Looks beautiful and those skins are very cool.  Is your string 8 strands total?
1’—>1’

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 08:10:02 pm »
You did a beautiful job on that one.Charcaterish type bows have a way getting liked.Good tiller and very nice finish work also.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 08:58:44 pm »
Beautiful work as usual Leon. Very impressive how you got everything lined up with those reflexed tips and all.  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline TorstenT

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 10:56:56 pm »
I can only repeat, what the others already said: beautiful bow! Very nice bend and the stave wasn’t easy to work. The Cobra skins add a lot of cool factor, too! The only thing I don’t like is the piece of wood or light colored horn you used as an arrow shelf. It’s rather edgy and looks a little like you just stuck it in as an afterthought. But that’s just high level criticism...  ;)
Well done!

Greetz
Torsten
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:02:11 pm by TorstenT »

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 01:36:16 am »
beauty !!
it's an awesome bow. I like all about it.  great attention to details and gorgeous skin  :OK

Offline simk

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 02:03:28 am »
Great bow leonwood - a real pleasure to watch. In the meantime your friend maybe regrets his decision... 8)
--- the queen rules ----