Author Topic: Surprise!  (Read 1757 times)

Offline DC

Surprise!
« on: May 28, 2018, 12:10:28 pm »
I use strings and lasers and anything else that comes to mind to get my string alignment right before bracing but it always seems to be a crap shoot whether it will be right on first brace. Some are really surprising how out of line they are. Does there come a time when you can "read" the stave and get it nailed before bracing?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Surprise!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 12:38:01 pm »
You can take an educated guess on string alignment but until you brace the bow you won't know for sure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 12:55:26 pm »
  I put one tip on the ground and the other on my fingertip and look to see how it balances, handle should be straight down. It can always change a tad when you brace it though.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 01:36:29 pm »
I put one tip on the bench belly up and balance the other on my thumb.
You never know which is why I leave handles full width and nocks 1 inch wide until first stringing or full draw.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 02:00:33 pm »
I've wondered about the wide tip thing, doesn't that affect the tiller or do you narrow them as soon as possible?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 08:08:22 pm »
Once the bow is braced and you can see the track of the string you can narrow the tips and shape the handle. You can completely tiller the bow with blocky handle and wide tips. I shouldn't affect the tiller to do so.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 11:06:43 pm »
I get most so straight with the heat gun I usually don't have a problem. Some times the thickness of the limb from one side to the other will jack with you though. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 11:57:14 am »
I think I am not so picky,, so just string it and adjust as needed to get the arrow to fly

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 12:46:32 pm »
You can take an educated guess on string alignment but until you brace the bow you won't know for sure.

Exactly my thoughts. Worked on one last week that looked close enough, braced the bow and it was off an inch. Other times I've came across a bow that looked way off and when braced it was dead on. In both cases the bows centerline and side to side thickness was perfect. Sometimes you just cant explain away the things you find.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.