Author Topic: First bow in a long time, Unbacked Hickory #55@28  (Read 3678 times)

Offline Bojahu

Re: First bow in a long time, Unbacked Hickory #55@28
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 06:16:21 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the positive feedback. Haven't been able to find any one in person who really appreciates the art of primitive archery, so it's nice to hear from folks who get it. Haha makes me feel sane . I will try and get an unbiased pic up at some point. As for the finish on the bow, it isn't anything fancy. I sanded down to a 120 grit finish then warmed up the limbs and thoroughly applied olive oil (its all I had at the time) after that I took some polishing paper i picked up some time back (think it is actually meant for metal) I soaked the polishing paper in a little oil and went over the whole bow a few times with it. Makes the wood feel smooth as silk. Normally is burnish after sanding but the polishing gave it such a nice finish I just stopped there.

Offline Bojahu

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 07:29:46 pm »
Here are a few more pictures I had on my phone. Thanks again for all the feedback guys.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 07:33:39 pm »
Lovely job. It looks like it has come to life straight from the pages of the Bowyers Bibles.  Well done.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 03:57:15 pm »
Looking good to me!  The big box stores in my area don't carry hickory or maple.

BTW, have a look for large mountain mahoganies in your area.  I've seen some on the south end of the Sawtooths I mean to go get some day.  Should be plenty of juniper, too. 

Offline Bojahu

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 05:22:53 pm »
I'll have to keep an eye out. Seems the only halfway decent bow wood I can find in the mountains is birch and down along the snake there is a lot of choke cherry and hawthoron, but they are all to short knarrly and twisted up that I haven't found one that would make a decent bow. I spoke to a couple tree trimmers yesterday though and they agreed to help me out. They told me they have some box elder that fits the parameters I'm looking for but I've heard that it is too brittle to make a bow.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 05:34:03 pm »
     Excellent craftsmanship and a really nice balanced bend...
                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 10:27:31 am »
Nice looking bow

Offline gfugal

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 12:31:09 pm »
They told me they have some box elder that fits the parameters I'm looking for but I've heard that it is too brittle to make a bow.

I've been wanting to try boxelder. According to the wood database it has good compressive qualities , but isn't that dense. I wouldn't make a selfbow out if it, but maybe with a backing like sinew, elm, maple, or hickory it could work. I think you would have to treat it like juniper. If you do end up trying it, let us know how it goes.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 04:52:22 pm »
Very nice clean bow. Great shape to the bow. Great job.