Author Topic: Deflexing a Stave  (Read 6494 times)

Offline DC

Re: Deflexing a Stave
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 03:03:52 pm »
You may get lucky and the kerf of the hole saw will allow you to use the piece/plug you cut out. Steam the bow, put the plug back in the hole and bend the bow around it to tighten it back up. I'm going to try that with mine but I still won't get a real nice glue line I don't think. I'll post a picture after I clamp it all up. Oh, timer went, steaming is done, time to clamp it up.

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 03:14:54 pm »
I just freehand an arc  between the high points of the fades and then rasp out the dip, Steam and bend across my knee.  Then finesse the surface and a piece to fit.  Doesn't take long to match them up.

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 03:17:38 pm »
Here it is all clamped up. The wedges under the tips tighten the bow around the plug. The glue line may improve when everything springs back a bit but I'm not holding my breath. I'll leave it for a couple of days I think.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 03:21:26 pm »
I just freehand an arc  between the high points of the fades and then rasp out the dip, Steam and bend across my knee.  Then finesse the surface and a piece to fit.  Doesn't take long to match them up.
I just don't have that much finesse. If I try that I usually have to try 2 or 3 times. I got lucky this time. I don't have much more dry OS to make more plugs. Do you think you could get away with just about any wood in there or should it be the best compression wood you've got?

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 03:25:32 pm »
The only problem I see is tje bend will focus on the center of tje cut out, just like a bow thats a straight non tillered stick will bend only in the center. May need to find a way to actuall tiller out that gap, so its a nice smooth bend and not abrupt.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline simk

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 03:31:01 pm »
DC: same same should be allright i think - i dont think the wood gets stressed to the limits in the handle section. i'm pleased to watch your immediate progress, i'm a slower worker. sleek: tillering the gap, a new discipline (lol). cheers
--- the queen rules ----

Offline willie

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 03:47:09 pm »
another way to avoid all the bend in one place, of course for a bow handle one wouldn't need to go so deep

Offline simk

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 04:00:22 pm »
evolution of mankind  :BB
--- the queen rules ----

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 05:08:15 pm »
But then you would have to know someone who could calculate the angle of the wedges ;D ;D ;D. Too many glue joints I think, just asking for trouble.

Offline TorstenT

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 01:32:43 am »
DC, your idea with the circular cutouts would be ideal for a setback (e.g. for a 5-curve), too!
You could cut it out, steam it and insert a slightly curved bigger block fitting into the gap. This way, the setback will keep its depth and the block can’t pop out.
Cool! Gotta try this for sure!  :)

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 05:32:22 am »
The thin spot in the center would need to bend too.  The transitions on the circular edges would almost surely separate under that backward bend.

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 11:02:14 am »
It was a real bear to get the piece to fit even close. If you figure a way to get a nice fit please post it. I put another piece over the bottom to tie it together. When I did mine I could see that with decent glue lines and a contrasting wood it would make a very nice handle. A leather wrap handle solved my glue lines. :D :D

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2018, 02:56:55 pm »
If you are going to invest all that effort, why not just cut the stave into billets and make a spliced, deflexed handle?

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2018, 04:02:55 pm »
I think we were kind of looking for an easier way. Didn't really find it. :)

Offline simk

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2018, 04:21:47 pm »
Splicing anxiety  ;D never done that... and often i wouldn't shorten a stave
--- the queen rules ----